Zettelkasten plugin wrong date bug

Steps to reproduce

1. In the plugin settings set the date format YYYY-MM-DD
  2. Create a new note pressing plugin button.

Expected result

Create a note with current date in the name

Actual result

Create a note with tomorrow date

Environment

• Operating system:
    Ubuntu 22.04 LTS
    Windows 10 21H2
  • Debug info:
    SYSTEM INFO:
    Obsidian version: v0.14.15
    Installer version: v0.14.15
    Operating system: #42-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 9 23:42:32 UTC 2022 5.15.0-39-generic
    Login status: not logged in
    Insider build toggle: off
    Live preview: on
    Legacy editor: off
    Base theme: dark
    Community theme: none
    Snippets enabled: 0
    Safe mode: off
    Plugins installed: 13
    Plugins enabled: 11
    1: Calendar
    2: Advanced Tables
    3: Markdown Formatting Assistant
    4: Meld Encrypt
    5: Obsidian Tabs
    6: Outliner
    7: System Dark Mode
    8: LanguageTool Integration
    9: Shortcuts extender
    10: Typewriter Scroll
    11: Dynamic Table of Contents

Additional information

do you already a note with today’s date?

Post a screen recording of this happening in the sandbox vault.

1 Like

Also read this carefully

Especially now that the plugin has been renamed “Unique note creator” this behaviour very much seems like a bug to me.

If I set my prefix to be YYMMDD, auto-incrementing it is wrong. The intent is to create a note for the date it was created. I can’t think of any reason why “use tomorrow’s date if you’ve already created a note today” would be the right behaviour. If you create and rename seven notes, the plugin should not create a note dated for next week (or month if we’re at the end!) because creating a note with today’s date will still yield a unique name.

I can understand some way to add uniqueness if there is a note conflict, but in my case (and I suspect the OP’s case) there is no name conflict, but even the Zettelkasten method (described at zettelkasten.de at least) does not make up a date. They add digits by appending, not incrementing.

+1 to this being a bug

You didn’t read the accompanying subtext.

Beg your pardon?

If you’re talking about the link you posted, then you’re mistaken. I made it clear in my post that I read and understand the plugin’s behaviour.

I refer to this

I realize you’re a forum moderator, but do you also have product design privileges?

Why are you the person that community members need to convince in order for feedback to be heard?

It does not matter how strictly adhered to a bad feature is. If it presents itself one way but behaves another (and falsifies data in the process), it’s bad. Call it what you want, but I’m calling it a bug so it’s taken seriously.

A field that takes a date format and then changes the date is bad.

The title is clear, the subtitle is clearer, the help docs provide an explanation.
It’s a good feature for those who is it for its indented purpose (having unique prefix).

This plugin is NOT for adding a (non-unique) date prefix to a note tile.
It’s for adding a vault-wise unique prefix. That is the goal of this plugin. That what it was made for.

You need to use another plugin, most likely templeter.