YouTube or even any video timestamp notetaking

You will need nodeJS to run the script. I have added some more details in the blog post above. It might go a bit technical but works fine for my usecase.

This is not an extension as of now. Will be very happy to make one.

However, I think it will pale in comparison to Media Extended Plugin discussed above.

1 Like

i think this is an excellent solution to be used with to Media Extended not an alternative to it as it can catch unexpected notes very quickly.

I think the native markdown export is already servable although ugly but it would be wondaful if you make an plugin for it to make it cleaner in a bullet list outline format

Also a lifetime subscriber of Annotate.tv. It integrates with readwise too which is great. Now we just need Readwise ( @erinmoore :slight_smile: ) to add a video category so they don’t show up in articles.

1 Like

A new highlighting tool called Liner works really well for yt timestamp notetaking, pdf highlighting and website highlighting bookmarking !! Its chrome extension is also available.

I’m building a web app to analyze tennis matches. It uses javascript to extract the time stamp from a youtube video via the Youtube API. It then allows to replay points by clicking on those timestamps:

That should be very similar to the original requirements.
I’m not much of a javascript coder and haven’t built a plugin yet.
But I would think that a plugin would work along those lines:

• a command/hotkey would trigger the plugin and load the javascript API
  • and shows modal to ask user for youtube link, then extracts the 11 digit youtubeID
  • it then shows the youtube video via the youtube javascript API
  • it shows a “note” button below the video, every time you click it it appends a new bullet point to the note with the time stamp of the video
  • the user can then add the notes after the timestamp
  • when user clicks on the time stamp it runs javascript to jump the video to that timestamp
7 Likes

Is there a link for this project?

1 Like

Interested in testing your project, please let us know the link here whenever it is available.

This is what I do now
link
One other advantage of this method is that you can skim the video quickly by reading the transcript. Often times the video includes things you already know. Obviously I only do this when watching youtube for studying. For entertainment I just relax and don’t take notes

1 Like

thank you very much
can you share the code you are using for convert pdf to markdown? if i can automate such a thing would be good for my workflow

Also , this YT Scribe looks awesome, but where I can set the language? it is giving me text in Arabic in one of the videos for some unknown reason

Hello Obsidian users!

Do you use Obsidian to take notes on videos?

Have you ever wanted to return to a specific place in a video while taking your notes?

Do you want to be able to watch videos INSIDE Obsidian?

I certainly have! After scouring the forums for a plugin like this and realizing this functionality simply did not exist yet, I decided to join the community of Obsidian developers and make it myself! Hope you enjoy: GitHub - juliang22/ObsidianTimestampNotes: This plugin allows side-by-side notetaking with videos. Annotate your notes with timestamps to directly control the video and remember where each note comes from.

6 Likes

Hello , that is good idea. there was Media Extended plugin that was doing that but he is not updated yet as far as i know. it is supposed to come up with new feature. opening videos in sidebar is interesting but i think with new obsidian “Move window” feature it is good to open the video in a new pane or right away in a new window.

I pay for annotate.tv service. It syncs with Readwise and finally from there to obsidian. You can write your notes using Markdown within the app and even copy transcripts in a very user friendly way.

You should try TubersLab - Youtube Notepad - Chrome Web Store
This is by far the best note-taking on YouTube that I have used.
And it’s free.

1 Like

I’m using the YiNote browser plugin to create video notes.

Afterwards, I use my YiNote importer Templater script to import the notes into obsidian. I just released my script as an open source project.

With this script, you can use your own template and use additional metadata (downloaded using oembed) in it, ie. like the channel name.

Additionally, the script can download images and still frames for you and save it as image file in your vault.

Have a look for yourself:

4 Likes

Hi there! sorry for bothering you, but do I need to tweak the script? It keeps giving me template parsing error. Pls help me sort this issue out. Would really appreciate it. I took a lot of notes on yinote assuming this script would work and now am having to use yinote every time I need to check the notes.

Am attaching screenshots for your reference. Thanks.

The “Timestamp Notes” Plugin did exactly what i was looking for, just hit the Keyboard shortcut and get the Timestamp directly in to Obsidian Note.
And 1 click to jump to the Timestamp in Video.
https://youtu.be/qjWq4ck2-0o?t=274

Maybe it fits your needs too :wink:

1 Like

Sorry, I missed your comment. I just send you a private message so we can fix your issue.

Hi! I have replied back to your DM and sent the details that you need. Thanks

I created an application for this exact purpose in autohotkey and Vlc media player clubbed together.

It require vlc media player installed in your PC .

Here is the link if any body want to try it out

feel free to make suggestion for improvements

Hi, this is so far the best option for taking notes from a video inside Obsidian. Personally I would prefer to not have to open the video file in a separate window and would rather like to add the video at the top of the note and add the timestamps beneath the video. Is this possible?