Wrong markdown for images is used, no title, no alt

Steps to reproduce

1. create a new note
  2. create folder images
  3. right click on images folder and set as default attachment folder
  4. in settings in Files and links set the new link format to relative path to file
  5. add any image to images folder
  6. copy an image and paste it into the note from 1. step. Source:
## Obsidian image

![[images/51800_folder_icon.png]]

note: that this is not an actual valid markdown format. According to documentation (Basic Syntax | Markdown Guide) correct format is ![alt text](pathToImage.png "Title")

therefore:

1. add an additional image manually by following the correct format as such ![My image](./images/51800_folder_icon.png "My image"). The final source is:
## Obsidian image

![[images/51800_folder_icon.png]]

##  Markdown image

![My image](./images/51800_folder_icon.png "My image")

Verify that both images are shown correctly. (note: images with spaces (if any) shall be encoded with %20)

Expected result

When pasting an image - it should(? maybe not?) follow the official/original markdown image format convention.
It should be possible to specify the title.
It should be possible to specify the ALT text.

Actual result

Proprietary markdown format is used for images.
cannot set image title
cannot set image ALT text.

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.0.3
Installer version: v1.0.3
Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19044
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Additional information

Some users might be willing to put the project into a source repository where the original markdown format is used, such as github.

It’s convenient to stick to original format, because then you get the maximum compatibility with the rest of the solutions (be it desktop apps or the web). As an another example, consider when user opens the above document in markdown file editor, then he sees this:

This is just to illustrate the core of the problem.

I understand that changing the images format might impact the existing users. So I propose that you could support the old solution, and the new solution. Please offer the option to migrate the existing format to the new format. Additionally you could add an additional option to dropdown new link format, called relative path to file (official) or something along these lines, if you don’t want to offer the migration.

I consider this to be a defect, as this image format is not an actual markdown image format, nor it offers the titles and alt texts… Please correct me if I am wrong.

This is a combination of things that you can change in the settings, already posted feature requests and already posted bug reports. I am going to move this to help and invite you to read the docs and search before posting.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.