Write letters and export into a specific layout

What I’m trying to do

I just had a shower thought. I’m slowly switching everything to Obsidian. One thing I do frequently is using a Google doc template when I write physical letters. Why not use Obsidian as well for this? This way I would have all the letters I write in a single place and can easily search them. I imagine using the properties to define sender and recipient and various other properties that would then be inserted into the note.
Is there a way to specify a specific letter layout when exporting an Obsidian note? I could create the layout in LaTeX for example and it would need to be filled with the notes properties and the note content.
Is this realistic or is it too far away from what Obsidian should be used for?

Things I have tried

I searched the forum and using Google but the relevant keywords yield results that are totally different to what I need.

Hmm… I’m not sure that you’ll be able to get out-of-the-box functionality for this in Obsidian. One approach might be to string together a few tools to do this for you – something like Pandoc to convert your markdown notes to HTML, then WeasyPrint to convert that to a PDF with appropriate styling. You’d probably need a few other bits and pieces in there to handle (for example) substitutions etc. too. :confused:

It is, of course, possible to customise the PDF output of Obsidian using CSS, but I don’t believe that it’s possible to set this up so that you can have different behaviour for different file locations.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.