Workflow for making multiple notes on a similar topic with a shared tag?

Things I have tried

The tag wrangler plugin
Searching the forums for solutions
Found a python script but would prefer a solution more streamlined

What I’m trying to do

In my bio class if we’re going over genetics, I would make multiple notes all tagged #genetics in a short period of time. Each time I make a new note, I have to remember to add that tag, and if I forget, I won’t be able to find that note when I search the tag. It would be a lot easier to have a workflow where a tag is automatically added when I make a new note during one session. Is there some way I can say “all notes I make in this session are about genetics, so put that tag in everything automatically”, or do something similar to add the same tag to all of the notes I make during this one session? I use the tag wrangler plugin, does that have a setting that can accomplish this?

I’ve not heard of such a thing that you’re describing, and I’m thinking I would rather have note for one session.

However, with that being said I do believe some of the note refactor plugins could possibly be helpful. I’m thinking write the session into one larger note, which you tag properly, and then refactor that into multiple notes afterwards.

I think some of them can split into multiple notes based on headers for example.

If there’s a way I can do all my notes and then bulk add tags to them at the end then that’s more of a pain but it still works. I couldn’t find a way to do this either however

Have you tried Note Refactor, and GitHub - lynchjames/note-refactor-obsidian: Allows for text selections to be copied (refactored) into new notes and notes to be split into other notes.

I’ve not tried it myself, and I’m not sure how it handles frontmatter/tags.

Not really sure how that would help. I couldn’t find anything for automatically putting in a tag into a new node

You could set a template for that session, which includes whatever you want. Then each time you create a new note, it’ll trugger that template. This would require you to update the new file template once for each session.

Another option along the same lines is to have notes related to a given subject in a given folder, and then have a template for new files within that folder. If you then setup that new notes go to the same folder, it’ll keep reusing that subjects template.

Do either of these sound like they could be used in your workflow?

Sorry, I didn’t read your other comment. Starting with one document then refactoring into multiple pieces could be a good workflow, but I’m worried about links between sections breaking when I do the refactor.

This may be too slow for you, but it’s possible you could use Templater or QuickAdd plugins to create a prompt on every new note creation that gives a menu of tags to choose from. This way you don’t have to remember to add the tag, but I can see how it might slow you down on note creation during class. Or you might just create a template that is your class template. At the start of class, change the tag in that template to whatever you want to set for the session. Then create each new note via that template. Change it for the next session.

At any rate, this could be a good plugin idea: a tool that adds a specified set of metadata to each new note until turned off.

It can be accomplished using Quick Add, if I’m not mistaken, as you then could have a macro generate the new note, and it lifts the tags from some variables not defined in the template, and then have a different macro to actually set the needed variables accordingly to different subjects.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.