With aliases, blockquote does not work

We strongly recommend you to search the forum with possible keywords before submitting a new bug report. Please also try your repro steps with third-party plugins and custom CSS disabled and see if it’s still reproducible. If it’s an issue with third-party plugins or themes, try contacting the author for help. Once you’ve done the above, delete this line.

Steps to reproduce

Create a note “test” as the following:

---
aliases: 
- other-name
---

line 1 ^blkc001

line 2

Create a note test-b as the following:

[[test]]

[[test|other-name]]

Then try to change the two backlinks into block quotes

Expected result

the blockquote works fine with [[test]] as well as [[test|other-name]]

Actual result

the blockquote is failed with [[test|other-name]]

Environment

• Operating system: macos 12.0.1
  • Debug info:
    SYSTEM INFO:
    Obsidian version: v0.13.14
    Installer version: v0.12.3
    Login status: logged in
    Catalyst license: insider
    Insider build toggle: on
    Live preview: on
    Legacy editor: off
    Base theme: dark
    Community theme: none
    Snippets enabled: 0
    Safe mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Additional information

Dec-28-2021 22-18-25

The format would be block first, alias last:

[[test#^blkc001|Alias Name Here]]

I tested this and it works fine on my end, including the autocompletion and searching. Including if I had added the alias first. You just have to position your cursor after the note title.

Thank you for your suggestion. Your explanation makes sense.

With your workaround, the block quote will be rendered as “Alias Name Here”, i.e. the alias name is the one for the block but not the one for the note.

Since the alias name of the note can be inserted automatically, the annoying part is that one may have to change the alias name from the one of the note to the one of the block or remove the alias name.

However, it is just annoying and is not intolerable :smiley:

You can create a feature request to make | and ^ work at any point in the link and overwrite what has already been chosen.

Yes. I don’t understand how you would want it to look otherwise. Am I misunderstanding? If you add an alias, it will change what is displayed. Isn’t that the only point of an alias?

Can you type out how you would want it to look otherwise?

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.