[Windows 11 Pro] Obsidian freezes when creating/accessing vault in Documents folder or subfolder

We strongly recommend you to search the forum with possible keywords before submitting a new bug report. Please also try your repro steps with third-party plugins and custom CSS disabled and see if it’s still reproducible. If it’s an issue with third-party plugins or themes, try contacting the author for help. Once you’ve done the above, delete this line.

Steps to reproduce

• downloded and installed Obsidian ver 0.14.6

• when asked to do a quick start, it freezes

• when I try to create a new vault in the documents folder or a sub folder, it freezes

• when i uninstall & reinstall, then use a different folder to crete the vault, it works.

• when I successfully get into obsidian and acccess any vault in any non documents folder it works fine.

• when i try to switch to a vault in the documents folder or sub folder, it freezes.

Expected result

Actual result

Environment

• Operating system: Windows 11
  • Debug info:
    SYSTEM INFO:
    Obsidian version: v0.14.6
    Installer version: v0.14.6
    Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.22000
    Login status: logged in
    Catalyst license: none
    Insider build toggle: off
    Live preview: on
    Legacy editor: on
    Base theme: dark
    Community theme: none
    Snippets enabled: 0
    Safe mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Additional information

Windows Systems Info:

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎2/‎3/‎2022
OS build 22000.675
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.675.0

where is documents folder actually stored? Is it on a network location?

no it’s on my c drive.

Update: Problem solved !!!

Windows Defender was blocking access by Obsidian to the AppData folder. Once I allowed access by Obsidian everything started working fine.

Specifically:

• I went into Admin mode
  • Noticed that I had some notification messages from Windows Defender, then saw that it was blocking Obsidian folder access
  • Then in the manage access option I added Obsidian to list of apps that can modify the AppData folder(s)

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.