šŸ“Š Will you keep "inline title" on?

The benefit is the you can change the H1 and title of the note at the same time, but some might like them to be different.

Also the position above YAML is a bit weird.

The title is also not affected by themes, stricking difference especiallt with Vileplume theme.

Itā€™s the first thing I turned off. Canā€™t see the point of it, as I can already see what the file is called.

I like to see my pages (planner pages, specifically) the way Iā€™ve designed them, with a certain amount of info showing on the screen before I have to scroll. The inline title is a very large, superfluous distraction to that.

1 Like

Iā€™m the OP of the question in the thread @Craig mentions because I was too in doubt what to do.
Having read the replies (in my question thread) I thought, I will remove my inline H1ā€™s and use the ā€˜Show inline titleā€™ function but after having read all the comments of deactivating it here Iā€™m in doubt again :sweat_smile:. How to build a sustainable PKM?

I have a h1 named ā€œ(Body)ā€ which is automatically generated in almost all of my note. So that i can always embed [[note-name#(Body)]] if i needs for almost all notes.

However, if I want to export the note to a PDF, Iā€˜d like to have a H1 named as same as the note title.

So, generally speaking, iā€™m not a big fan of this feature. However, i cannot deny the fact I somehow create my note in the same way as the feature does.

For me it is very black and white:

A reliable, transportable, readable Markdown file should be fully contained within itself. The filename is irrelevant. If there is a title for the file, it needs to be inside the file as an H1 element.

4 Likes

This brings up one of the issues I have been trying to resolve for a very long time. My problem stems from the need for very long file names. Sorry for the discussion divergence, but this feels like a meaningful place to bring it up.

Unfortunately the problem with very long file names is that there is a character limit. But, unlike any other feature in Obsidian, the actual text within links can actually be updated when that file is. Without having to rely on embeds or fiddling with alternative link display text via | characters, the ability to simply rename a note and have the actual link text within notes be automatically updated is a very unique and powerful ability. But, it is heavily limited by note name length limits.

Especially now that Obsidian has this option to show note names inline as H1 headings, I see potential for some functionality that outsmarts the character limit and lets you compose a few hefty sentences right in that H1 heading and have it auto update all links to the note regardless of the actual note name. Like @AlanG said ā€œThe filename is irrelevant.ā€ Of course, he said this in a different context. Anyways, after writing all this out, I decided I will simply create a feature request so as to avoid further distracting from this discussion. Note name length unlimited

Edit: Below @alain1405 kindly suggests using aliases. However, aliases are simply used to help find the link within the auto-suggester, and they automatically add the | character so that the link is displayed as alias. The issue with goes back to my whole goal of being able to update the note name and have the change update all instances of links to that note. Aliases do not update when they are changed. There are multiple discussions about this in other threads. Iā€™m right there with you. This would be an elegant solution if it updated. Anyways, hereā€™s a link to one topic that clearly describes this: Automatically update links when aliases are renamed. I appreciate the response, I will mention it over in my new request as a possible workaround that would rely on another feature request being implemented first.

Thanks.

For now I am keeping the inline H1 titles on. I like their ability to line wrap and their bold appearance. Since text size and interface zoom are separate values, it can be useful to sometimes zoom out the interface until tabs are quite tiny, knowing that the inline titles can stay large and readable as well as being adjustable with the ease of a ctrl roll. This allows for some heavy multitasking (or at least the ability to have many notes open and have their titles relatively quickly and easily read).

I am sorry that my previous reply is quite an anomaly in the conversation here. I hope it doesnā€™t distract. I feel even worse that, in my excitement, I totally forgot to actually respond to the very thoughtful question that @Karjala posed. Thanks for making this topic! I very much appreciate it!

Iā€™m in the ā€œnot sureā€ category. I havenā€™t included an H1 in all my notes (especially older content), but like an earlier respondent, portability guides my recent thinking to include it now. However if I do, then I need to go back and add the H1 to older notes and then turn off the setting. Sighā€¦

But one thing I am sure about is the ability to hide the inline title on a per-note basis ā€“ can anyone suggest a way to do it, using a plugin or CSS snippet? The use case here is that I have a handful of notes that I use in sidebars, and screen real estate is essential.

I think the inline note title is a good idea and the way it is implemented is very good in my opinion.
I donā€™t share the opinion of several authors in this thread that this wastes valuable screen space. I would rather like to remind that white space is important to improve the readability of a text.
In my opinion, my notes not only look good with the inline note title but are also easy to read. Also, the use of a level 1 heading is now limited to only very long notes where a title seems appropriate to improve understanding of the content.

3 Likes

I only quickly skimmed through this post and I am not sure why you might need very long file names @I-d-as but have you tried the ā€œAliasā€ field in the frontmatter?
It can be used to link a file by using one or multiple aliases and perhaps those donā€™t have a limited length.

It works for me.

File with a short name and an alias:

---
tags: []
aliases: [ Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industrys standard dummy text ever since the 1500s when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book. It has survived not only five centuries but also the leap into electronic typesetting remaining essentially unchanged. It was popularised in the 1960s with the release of Letraset sheets containing Lorem Ipsum passages and more recently with desktop publishing software like Aldus PageMaker including versions of Lorem Ipsum ]
---

1 Like

You can use this CSS Snippet to hide the inline title in All Views:

.hide-title.markdown-preview-view .inline-title,
.markdown-source-view .inline-title {
display: none;
}

Thanks for sharing this!

Do you know if thereā€™s a way with CSS to affect only files with a certain attribute? Iā€™d like to do this on a case-by-case basis ā€” using a tag, for instance, or a folder. Isnā€™t there some kind of pseudo element that would look to see if the file path contains a particular word, for example?

Canā€™t help you with that, sorry. I do the basic ā€œwrite the cssclass into the yaml of the note the css should be to applied toā€ thing, thatā€™s enough for me.
By the way, I made a tiny mistake in my last post. Hereā€™s the fully working version:

.hide-title.markdown-preview-view .inline-title,
.hide-title.markdown-source-view .inline-title {
display: none;
}

2 Likes

Thanks anyways! I appreciate the snippet! I forgot about the cssclass attributeā€¦ :slight_smile:

The Auto Class plugin can do it based on file path.

1 Like

Iā€™d much rather be able to turn the new ā€œnot-inline titleā€ off, as it pushes the entire document all the way to the right, making for some pretty nonsense alignment.

Is there a way to do so? Iā€™m using minimal theme on Linux with obsidian installed thru flatpak.

Iā€™ve made the title as small as possible in the meanwhile to push the document the least far right, with the Style Settings extension. Many of the Style Settings settings appear broken with the latest release however.

Make sure all your plugins are up to date and you donā€™t have any snippets that might interfering with the new V1

Iā€™m also using minimal theme on Linux and did not have this problem. I turned off the new auto title feature anyway.

1 Like

Yes, Iā€™ll keep using it, because itā€™s really easy to just type one time, and it applied to file names and titles.
Others that bothered by this feature because this feature coming later, and they already have manually typed the H1 so they have redundancy.
For me that just using obsidian lately, itā€™s a really helpful feature.

Are you using the latest version of Minimal? Settings > Appearance > Check for updates

You can also turn off the title in Settings > Appearance

Thanks for the advice. There was an offending plugin. I should have thought to bisect-check my plugins.

In case anyone else lands here,
Embedded Note Titles by mgmeyers caused the display issue.

The extension appears to have been already removed from the community extension list.

1 Like