Why does this Dataview query work

I have a Dataview query that I composed purely by trial and error, which works very well to recap reading log notes across documents. But I have no idea why it works.

Here’s what the data in a note looks like – I add multiple reading sessions to the same note; different books; different durations; different sections:

In my recap note, I have this query

TABLE without ID file.link as "File", Book, Time, Section
WHERE Book

The query produces this table, which is exactly what I want

But – I have no idea why that works. This is an if-it’s-not-broken-don’t-fix-it case, but for my own edification I’d really like to know why.

Hi! I’m on the same situation as you. I have a weekly note (instead of daily) that I use for personal and work notes but also with the intention of tracking personal activities such as workouts for example.

In my weekly note I had:

activity:: Swim
activity-duration:: 60 minutes

activity:: Run
activity-duration:: 40 minutes

activity:: Swim
activity-duration:: 30 minutes

Which makes it appear in a simple query:

But I’m pretty sure this is a bug because when I try to group by activity and sum the duration I start to get empty results.

I would love to be able to have a feature like this since I’ve been eternally looking for a platform that would allow me to manualy track things quickly and then visualize it.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.