Who's using Emacs to *write* Obsidian notes?

Things I have tried

I am playing with Obsidian and it is great for searching and graph visualisation. I have my notes in Dropbox (or iCloud).

However my main Markdown writing environment is EMacs. So I made sure Ican access the Obsidian folder from Emacs as well. I have created notes from Emacs which forks fine. So far so good.

What I’m trying to do

Now I want to make the interplay between Obsidian and Emacs smoother. Here my questions:

• Do others use Emacs to write the notes they then use in Obsidian?
  • What Emacs minor modes help? What Obsidian plugins?
  • What is the best way to open a note selected in Obsidian in Emacs and vice versa?

Thanks for any pointers!

3 Likes

So far the best way for me is to do everythin in Emacs, and use Obsidian only for sync (which I guess you don’t need since you’re using Dropbox).

I guess the only thing that’s missing is a some sort of company mode back-end that would allow easy linking and tagging…

1 Like

Hi, yeah I’m a long time emacs user still getting started with Obsidian. In fact Obsidian shares a lot in common with org-mode it seems (although I am hardly an expert in either).

A company mode for adding links and tags sounds like a great idea. I have written a company backend in the past, might take a look at it myself. Let me just add it to my project ideas note …

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.