When checklists / todo lists are folded, checking one of them unfolds the list

Use case or problem

When I fold a list of checkboxes and then check one of them, they all automatically unfold. I would like the option not to that happening, just checking without unfolding the rest. I will only let unfolded the task that I’m interested in at the moment so as not to get distracted.

Proposed solution

Maybe a CSS line code suggestion or a simple plugin.

Current workaround (optional)

Letting all checkboxes unfolded.

5 Likes

Does anyone know how to achieve this with a simple plugin or such? :face_with_monocle:

Use case or problem

When I fold a list of checkboxes and then check one of them, they all automatically unfold. I would like the option not to that happening, just checking without unfolding the rest. I will only let unfolded the task that I’m interested in at the moment so as not to get distracted.

Proposed solution

Maybe a CSS line code suggestion or a simple plugin.

Current workaround (optional)

Letting all checkboxes unfolded.

2 Likes

Ahh, yes, I just tested what that post was talking about and the same thing does occur!

Interestingly, the problem isn’t specifically about checkboxes like that person thought, it’s actually just any addition/subtraction of text. Since when you “check” or “uncheck” a task, Obsidian types or deletes an “x” inside the brackets… thus modifying the line of text, expanding the lists like the problem I posted :tired_face:.

Yeah, he posted it on the feature requests for possibly a CSS hack from someone but I believe this is a bug because the “unfolding” doesn’t happen in the Editor mode and it’s also what I expect to happen :thinking:.

If say, List B was folded in Preview mode and I edited something in List B, I’d understand for it to unfold automatically to show where I’m writing. But yeah, I’m writing on List B but List A opens up also, a completely separate list. It’s actually extremely annoying for me because the “Link with Pane” becomes essentially useless for some pages. The only way for me to fold lists for clarity and also edit is for me to Unlink the Preview pane and scroll all the way down where I can see my edits happening, I lose the convenience of linking panes :frowning:

1 Like

Steps to reproduce

1. Have a to do list with nested to dos.
  2. Collapse the nested todos so you can just see the parent todo
  3. Check or uncheck another to do in the list

Expected result

I would not expect the collapsed todos to reshow themselves

Actual result

The collapsed todos reappear

Environment

• Operating system: Windows
  • Obsidian version: 0.12.3

Additional information

1 Like

The bug still exists and makes obsidian unusable for tracking progress of big projects. At least for me of course.

A possible solution could be to hide subtasks when the task is marked as completed.

I’ve recently come from roam and everything about obsidian is so much better but this is the only issue I’ve encountered. Lists also seem to unfold not only when editing but also when you restart the app.

This topic is quite old and, seemingly, about clicking checkboxes in reading view, which is working for me using Obsidian v1.5.11 - no unexpected unfolding of anything.

Here’s a new report regarding live preview. I too see this behavior.

1 Like