What does this mean? "Renaming files will now rename the file alias if it matches the file name."

In the changelogs for 1.2.1 it says

Editor: Renaming files will now rename the file alias if it matches the file name.

What does that mean? If the alias matches the file name, it’s just the file name, isn’t it? I am obviously missing the point. I experimented in a sandbox vault, but I still have no idea what this feature or enhancement is supposed to do.

It seems to work like this: if you have a note called pineapple with display text (“file alias”) of pineapple, e.g. [[pineapple|pineapple]], and rename the note to “apple”, any instances of [[pineapple|pineapple]] will become [[apple|apple]]. Still some kinks to work out, but I think that’s the idea.

Thanks. But if that is true, it is not what I would want… Quite the contrary! The only use case I can imagine for this is with upper/lowercase, but changing file name fish to whale doesn’t cause [[fish|Fish]] in another file to become [[whale|Whale]]. In fact, experimenting with this I found a bug, that I will go and report: the aliases are all broken after conversion.

Will be fixed soon.

1 Like

That’s good. The question about what it’s aiming to do remains, though.

Once the missing | bug is squashed, if you’ve set a custom display text from the beginning, it won’t be changed no matter how many times you rename the file. The display text will only change if it’s exactly the same as the note name. I think that’s how it will work.

It is how I use it: I have aliases for Capital letter versions and lowercase versions. All my notes start with a capital letter but when a topic (e.g. democracy) gets linked, it will be aliased as [[Democracy|democracy]] or, for bilingual usage, [[Democracy|demokrácia]], etc.

I don’t understand the announcement, either.

By the way, I want some other thing to be implemented that I wrote about here:

But what would be the use of that?

What does that mean? If the alias matches the file name, it’s just the file name, isn’t it?

This is how I understand it: Your observation above seems true if you set your links to shortest possible path (that’s the default). But in settings, I set my links to relative path, not shortest possible. So for instance [[directory/subdirectory/myfile|myfile]] appears as [[myfile]] in a linked note. If I change the filename from myfile to mynote, then it becomes [[directory/subdirectory/mynote|mynote]] and it now appears as [[mynote]] in a linked note.

If I deliberately set an alias on the original file that is different than the file name – for instance, on myfile I set an alias of “great file” – that alias will persist even if I rename myfile to mynote. So both before and after I rename the file, if I use the [[great file]] alias in a linked note it will persist.

I have not deliberately tested this yet, but that’s how I understand it.

1 Like

Ah, that might be it! Still, I would like it if the upper/lower case thing worked, too. Tested with version 1.2.2, but no.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.