WARNING! Data Loss when using Filename Header Sync (1.5.0) plugin | Update: Fixed in v1.5.1

I’ll follow up with an issue report on the Github repo of the plugin’s author, but I wanted to get this out as soon as possible to prevent further data loss.

This morning, I noticed that some of my image files in my Obsidian vault were corrupted and didn’t know why. I retraced some steps and found that the very useful Filename Header Sync plugin was corrupting every image that I opened through Obsidian. Here are the details:

1. I first turned off all plugins and opened some JPG, PNG and PDFs with Obsidian. All good.
  2. I turned on Filename Header Sync and tried to open the same images. Each image opened fine, but was modified. As soon as I tried to reopen each image, it failed to open in Obsidian or at the filesystem level. Each image was modified and corrupted. Yikes!!

Here is a demo:

Tony

This was fixed quickly by the author with v1.5.1, which adds a guard to block functionality on all files except .md. Tested on my end and works.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.