Super FR: Visual/Spatial Note Taking - Whiteboard - Mind Map - Concept Map

Probably worth keeping an eye on this:

16 Likes

Sorry for the late answer. Yes I did mean myMindnode, wasn’t aware that it was deprecated.
There is also Mindmeister of course which is web based and may work in an iframe, but I never really liked it.

OMG it’s happening :pray::partying_face: I can’t wait!
Also wondering if Zsolt will eventually build a hepta-like control for Excalidraw.

4 Likes

They’re not. They all look cross-platform to me—at least for Windows. Some have Linux desktop versions as well.

This is extremely clearly expressed, and I’m so glad someone else is thinking about the gap this fills. My note taking style now constitutes abuse of mindnode. The siloing of files and lack of native linking or a ‘meta map’ is a critical missing piece. Their dev cycle is glacial, so I’m not sure it’ll be coming any time soon.

Heptabase looks like the best solution: yes it is offline storage, but the vendor lock-in isn’t ideal. They do say on their site that if they go bust, they will opensource it.

At this point it’s making the jump to something suboptimal without clean exporting functionality is a big risk.

EDIT: Just checked their discord - turns out you can export to markdown, stripped of spacial formatting.

2 Likes

Good news, this has been added to the short-term roadmap: Trello: Corkboard / Whiteboard plugin

19 Likes

Ohh wow. I wonder how it’ll compare to heptabase, I’ll be keeping a close eye on this

I imagine a mindnode-like app that has actual note windows instead of simple text, which can be zoomed into (like Prezi) but also can be folded, just like a regular mindmap.
And maybe the note windows could also be collapsed into thin bars like Hover Editor does it.

3 Likes

with bonus point if we can draw areas/lines directly on the board so it can serve as a kanban, timeline, corbboard, sky is the limit :wink:

2 Likes

That would be great. Mindnode has a great feature for ⌘5 to add text to a node (and viewing the whole map as outline with ⌘7), but the siloed files are a killer.
Brainio and Writemapper solve that problem, but aren’t as slick as mindnode

:exploding_head: Wow that looks amazing :flushed: Editing a note in text blocks and as mindmap at the same time! I find that for having an overview of contents of a large text, as well as for studying, a mindmap structure can be enormously helpful.
Being able to see a note as mindmap, but also to arrange a miro-like workspace with notes, graphics etc spatially arranged to have a bird’s eye view of your topic area or whole vault, would be the dream.
I guess none of the mentioned apps would work with local markdown files, correct?

Side note, the markmind plugin allows to edit your note as mindmap, similar to Brainio. But also not as slick.

1 Like

Absolutely - it would literally be the perfect second-brain app. As far as I know, they don’t work with local markdown files, but I might be wrong

I’m unreasonably excited for this btw - does that mean likely rolled out by end of this year?

Me too! I can’t wait. This will be a revolution for my workflow.

I think short term roadmap might mean even sooner than end of the year. And Dharam Kapila’a plugin will probably be ready for beta testing in August :heart_eyes:

8 Likes

I’m slightly confused about the mention of concept maps here. Usually that requires named relationships between nodes. For example, here is the idea described for Roam: https://www.reddit.com/r/RoamResearch/comments/i8m69x/what_if_roam_had_relationships_as_part_of_links/
This would be a likely very small change to the parser, and incredibly valuable for both representing things visually and querying.

However, while I would love to see that in Obsidian, it’s unclear if that will be included in this update.

3 Likes

People have been requesting semantic linking for a long time, there’s a whole thread about it here on the forum.

5 Likes

Hello! I’ve come here in the forum to suggest this feature. Just need to say that when I discover that you are already working on the feature, I’ve become really excited!
There are a couple of currently accessible tools to get inspiration like Heptabase, Scrintal and Roam Spatial Graph, I see that other members already mentioned those here. Just can’t wait for it.

4 Likes

Excitement builds - Erika moved the Corkboard / Whiteboard task card to “Working on” !

While I agree and also fantasize about the advanced use of visual mapping in this thread, I believe it is useful to keep in mind the new core plugin name - Corkboard / Whiteboard.

We have related notes, links, and tags already. A core plugin that provides me a corkboard visual of this connected data is all most folks need at this point. A simple visual to ponder the growth of our notes.

Color me jazzed !

11 Likes

Great point! For some reason, I wasn’t thinking of automatic generation. Instead, I had it in my mind that the Corkboard / Whiteboard would be something we had to build out independent of the actual links. It might still be useful to have some visual mapping capabilities, but I totally understand what you mean, and agree.

As I try to imagine the potential display and filtering settings for both local and global Corkboard / Whiteboards, I can’t help but consider the possibilities for an implementation where linked headings, blocks, and perhaps even images and external links are represented. Maybe something like Display headings and blocks in graph view but with actual previews. If they were editable in the Corkboard / Whiteboard, that would be incredible, but isn’t absolutely necessary.

Regardless of what it is, this is so exciting! I am sure it will add a lot of value. Perhaps it is no coincidence that this is being implemented immediately after Tabs. There is so much potential. I can’t wait!

3 Likes

What I’ve been wanting for some time, and am now finally working towards actually implementing is maintaining a set of markdown file/nodes with automation that monitors changes to them to maintain a visual graph of various types of linkages. This way that visual graph doesn’t (almost immediately) bit rot. Importantly, in the other direction editing of the graph visualization would automatically modify the corresponding hooks in the files. I’ve been expecting to start really thinking about labelled links, but have been pushing that off to a “version 2”.

Once I’m generating very large graphs, I intend to next evolve “new” mechanisms to quickly navigate them by incrementally discovering and inventing things that work and sifting them from the haystack of things that actually don’t work. Sorry, I don’t know how that will turn out yet, but I’ve done that sort of thing successfully in the past on a number of occasions, so I’m optimistic.

Skimming this thread, it seemed like most people were expecting to have to “manually” maintain the graph views (ala excalidraw?), and I’m trying to object to that here because of my experience of those views almost immediately becoming obsolete.

3 Likes