Super FR: Visual/Spatial Note Taking - Whiteboard - Mind Map - Concept Map

This is a great idea — drawing concept maps where each “card” or node is a note in the obsidian vault.

I posted a request similar to this one:

Developing ideas by working with notes on a canvas

1 Like

Not sure if this adds anything useful to the conversation, but one idea I played with (and am still considering) for the Kanban plugin is doing something like this to store arbitrary data:

- Card one ^id1
- Card two ^id2

...at the bottom of the file...

```kanban:data
{
	id1: { ...whatever },
	id2: { ...whatever },
}
```
4 Likes

Fair enough, and I think in your example that makes a lot of sense (especially since each note clearly represents a unique Kanban). But for Juggl, those would be like 500kb json files, that are only going to be interpretable by Juggl. I’m not really comfortable appending those to user files I think.

1 Like

Something like that would be great

Are you and @Emile still considering something like this? :grinning:

This looks similar to Argdown or flowchart.fun

Argdown

Flowchart.fun

2 Likes

I’m right up there with you on this. I’ll also add, having consistent shapes and colors that represent those notes. I imagine this might have been what you were getting at with:

To the first point, here’s a couple of github threads where they discuss possible changes in the core of Excalidraw, that could one day then come to the Obsidian plugin. If you are interested:

Sticky notes · Issue #1428 · excalidraw/excalidraw
Link the text inside a shape to the shape · Issue #1010 · excalidraw/excalidraw

To both the second and the first, I think it may be possible to use QuickAdd to achieve this. It’s on my todo list to explore soon.

Here’s a Youtube Video of a similar walkthrough / example of QuickAdd + Excalidraw

Other Note / Concept Map Examples

7 Likes

Does anybody know the Post-it Android app by 3M. It allows you to capture your post-it notes board into the app and work on them. It also integrates with Trello and Miro.

I would add draw.io open-source diagramming and mapping tool to the list of suggestions.

2 Likes

There is the Diagrams (draw.io) plugin available now as a community plugin

2 Likes

:grinning:

8 Likes

what is the difference between Corkboard and Juggl?

Scroll down to the animated images showing the Heptabase worflow: https://heptabase.com/

4 Likes

I would argue against using markdown simply because it’s not at all a tool for the job and one must avoid the pitfall of being tempted to see very problem as solvable by the same tool just because it is the sole tool available.

Markdown shines as a simple (poorly standardize) format that allows to express basic formatting in text fashion. It comes very short when it comes to standardisation, expressivity (even for text), structure (even for tables) and was simply never designed for anything like connectivity, graphs, being parsed unambiguously, or anything else than simple formatted text.

What’s the added value of using markdown versus just another better human readable but specialized language? The page is not mean’t to be editted in the editor anyway. Pushing ackward concepts into markdown will just lead to supporting exotic and hard to parse syntax anyway, i have no doubt it is doable and perhaps language must be expanded, but selecting the right tool for the job seems to me more important than making a text styling language suddenly expanding into representing highly structured data

1 Like

I agree that the more and more you try to stretch the limits, the more likely things will start breaking down. But I think there is a difference between enabling completely new functionality with Markdown files (“I want to shoot 4K video and store as MD files in Obsidian!”) and adding new ways of viewing and manipulating our fundamentally textual Markdown content (which is what this thread is mainly about.)

3 Likes

Scapple, Milanote, Heptabase and now Clover…
Why are all this apps only for apple?

1 Like

I would love to see a index card / corkboard view in Obsidian. I’ve tried to emulate this behavior in Excalidraw and Kanban, and while both are excellent they aren’t really intended for this kind of visualization/organization.

6 Likes

Any update on this, is it being considered by “core” or third party?

I have tried Excalidraw, but could not get into a good rhythm.

I just searched the Discord about this earlier and there’s at least one plug-in coming as well as some existing workflows that are moving in that direction.

Heptabase just raised $1.7M in seed funding so there’s definitely a perceived interest in this kind of function.

4 Likes

Wow! Heptabase looks like a baby of Obsidian, mind maps, and Prezi (anyone remember Prezi?) :scream_cat:
But: If I remember correctly, Tony Buzan insisted that the branches of mind maps must be capital letter words, not sentence fragments, in order to keep overview and be able to read the idea / concept with one glance, no matter how large the mind map.
In Heptabase I only see a huge amount of tiny text on first glance, and the only memory aide will be space and maybe color coding.

PS: Christin, great to see you here, you were the one that got me to switch from Bear to Obsidian in the first place in our short reddit interactions (my handle is ‘jfhey’). Thanks for that :wink:
PPS: I hope you won’t make me switch to another software again :sweat_smile: (Scrintal looks kind of cool as well btw, similar direction as heptabase).
PPPS: Has anybody taken a look at obsidian markmind plugin? It allows you to watch and even edit your notes as a mindmap.

2 Likes