Visual artifacts for tables in live preview on Debian Linux

Tables produce repeating visual artifacts in live preview mode on Debian Linux.

Obsidian-table-tearing

Steps to reproduce

Use the following table with plenty of space above and below it to allow scrolling. Scroll up and down.

| Test | Test |
| --- | --- |
| Test | Test |

Environment

sandbox

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v0.14.15
Installer version: v0.13.23
Operating system: #1 SMP Debian 5.10.120-1 (2022-06-09) 5.10.0-15-amd64
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Safe mode: on

Additional information

The visual artifacts appear only in live preview on Debian Linux. I couldn’t reproduce the artifacts on Windows 10 or Fedora Linux, which leads me to believe this is something particular for Debian.

Alternatively, this is due to my setup (running Debian inside a virtual machine), but no other graphical program has any issues and the artifacts persisted despite changing the graphical accelerator. I’m unable to test whether Debian outside a VM would produce the artifacts as it isn’t the host operating system.

try disabling hardware acceleration. settings>about

Sadly no effect.

I conducted some experiments and found out:

• Dataview tables produce similar artifacts but, only in read mode (also in source mode on top of live preview).
  • The Dataview artifacts appear only when there is a callout box on the screen and stop repeating the moment the callout isn’t visible anymore
  • Any text or other non-bugged element below the bugged one can cut the artifacts part-way.

Live preview doesn’t appear to be the cause.

(there’s a callout above)

I don’t recall having visual artifacts months before, but I didn’t necessarily present the right situations for them to occur in either.

I’ll attempt to run a different Linux operating system inside a virtual machine to determine whether this is due to Debian or my setup. I’ll also try older versions of Obsidian in case I can find the specific update after which the artifacts started appearing.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.