Validate password when setting up remote vault for Obsidian sync

Use case or problem

When you create a remote vault for Obsidian sync, the password is hidden. If you made a typo, you may not be able to enter the password correctly to encrypt/decrypt the remote vault.

Proposed solution

There are two possible solutions:

1. Allow the password to be visible when typing (this could be an option that could be toggled)

2. Validate the password by asking the user to re-type it

Current workaround (optional)

None that I am aware of. Just kept my fingers crossed :slight_smile: My keyboard has issues with the shift key, so I’m not always sure that I successfully type a capital letter.

Related feature requests (optional)

2 Likes

A workaround that I do occasionally when I have to set passwords like this is type the password I want on a desktop sticky note or something similar and make sure it’s how I want it, and then copy and paste it into the field.

1 Like

I vote for Solution 1. Allow the password to be visible when typing (this could be an option that could be toggled)

Most modern UIs have this option available and this makes the user experience much better. Trial and error entry is annoying and unless someone is looking over my shoulder during entry (a very rare situation) I’d rather be able to see that the pw is correct on-screen before submitting.

1 Like