Using obsidian for writing fiction (ZK, IMF)

If I may, @nickmilo was kind enough to post my presentation from the LYT workshop on his YouTube channel. I go into great details about how I use Obsidian and linked notes for fiction writing. Hope it can be of interest to that thread.

11 Likes

I was struggling to find the best way to write fiction (or whatever article based on several separate storylines/list of references) and after have tried to make everything a note, or just some parts, link blocks etc… I couldn’t find a SIMPLE way to link the information of multiple sources into a manageable storyline…

…until today.

Here is my untested evergreen workflow (lol) :

1. Use a note for each list of chronological events (storyline or story Arc whatever you call it)
  2. Make each item of the list a header
  3. Link to each header in your main storyline/article (headers keep the order you made them, allowing you to peek to any storyline you want in a blink, and choose the relevant item)
  4. wait for the header name auto-update feature to be implemented in the next version (this is not yet implemented so it is better to not change the headers)

Here is a short video overview : 【Overview】Simplest way to manage multiple storylines for storywriting in Obsidian - YouTube - YouTube
And here is a longer one (watch it at 4x speed because it is uselessly slow) : Simplest way to manage multiple storylines for storywriting in Obsidian - YouTube

2 Likes