Using local server share links

Hello all,

first of all, I really like Obsidian software and recommend it to everyone, who I think could benefit from it.

I would like to ask if it is possible to somehow include links to the local server share. I thought that Obsidian could be well used as an organization’s knowledge base. I noticed that I cannot use the file:/// syntax for links like:

\\fileshare\Departments\Medicine\

Similar issue was posted, but never resolved:

Thank you!

what happens if do drag-ctrl-drop of the file?
Can you post a screen recording of the editor and preview?

Do they work?

It inserts the link according to file:/// syntax, but once I click on the link, I get this error:

link is formatted as: [Signature Memo for New Studies 2017](file:///\\fileshare\Departments\Medicine\...\Signature%20Memo%20for%20New%20Studies%202017.doc)

I truncated the path with … just for the sake of privacy.

It looks that once the link is sent to Windows, at least one \ is missing at the front of the path address.

Does it work if you open in the editor?
If you add another \ before fileshare. does it open in editor and preview?

Like this
[Signature Memo for New Studies 2017](file:///\\\fileshare\Departments\Medicine\...\Signature%20Memo%20for%20New%20Studies%202017.doc)

Interesting! When I CTRL+Click regular inserted link in edit mode, link will open, but if I click in preview mode, I get the error I posted above.

1 Like

Yes, adding extra \ fixes the issue.

both editor and preview work with extra \?

Yes, it works in both modes.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.