Use new 'Templates' plugin for daily notes

The new template functionality doesn’t work with the daily notes plugin. Would be nice if it templating would work with it as well.

4 Likes

Revising this topic title for clarity and moving to feature requests.

1 Like

Hi there, I was writing a bug report, and the (excellent) topic suggestion feature found this topic with the same problem as I had. See below for the detailed bug report I wrote.

I would love for this to be fixed!

Steps to reproduce

• Open clean vault
  • Enable Daily notes plugin.
  • Make file: templates/daily.md.
  • Fill it with # {{date}}.
  • Configure Daily notes plugin to use templates/daily.md as template.
  • Click Open today’s note.

Expected result

A new file called 2020-09-07.md is created, with contents # 2020-09-07.

Actual result

A new file called 2020-09-07.md is created, with contents # {{date}}.

Environment

• Operating system: macOS and Windows (tested both)
  • Obsidian version: 0.8.9

Additional information

• When I hit the Insert template button it does insert the template correctly.
4 Likes

I was going to report the same!

My current Workaround

use the calendar plugin, and click the current day. This will trigger the template filling.

Raising this for visibility as well.

• If I use CMD-P → Go to Today’s Daily Note (where a daily note doesn’t yet exist), the new note is created and the template items are not filled in in …
  • if I click the calendar on a day (where a daily note doesn’t yet exist), the note is created and the template items ARE filled in

This issue still exists exactly as described above. Just bumping this in case it got forgotten. :blush:

EDIT: Just found a solution in 3 basic questions - #14 by cristian which explains to use {{date:YYYY-MM-DD HH-MM}} and that works like a charm. Yay.