Allow for dragging of note icon or tab to create link

It would be great if dragging of a note’s icon into the editing space of another would create a wiki-link to the first note in the second one.
Scenario: Have five sliding panes open and wish to create a MoC note: Just drag and drop the icons of the five stacked notes into the one open to create wiki-links to all the stacked notes.

5 Likes

Speaking of usability, I agree with Whitenoise on renaming your titles to be descriptive.

I like the idea.

An alternative that could be nice: There is already a command to copy the Obsidian url. It would be nice if there was a command to copy the Wiki-style link. Then you could just run a hotkey to have the link in your clipboard. And paste into your next note. Even if it wasn’t open at the time (like sliding panes, or however) or you only had a single pane open.

2 Likes

@rigmarole. Thanks for pointing out. Re-titled the request.

1 Like

Good idea!

Similarly, here is a request for a parallel yet separate functionality that would allow for the dragging of a note into a folder in order to move it: Move file via drag and drop pane title to folder

I really hope your request gets seen. I can’t imagine anyone wouldn’t want it as long as it didn’t hinder pane rearrangement or potentially a future where similar dragging might initiate a tabbed pane interface.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Use case or problem

When you want to quickly create a link to a note that is currently open.

Proposed solution

Have a link be added to a note at the release point after you ctrl drag and drop a tab into a note.

Current workaround

Press hotkey for Reveal in Explorer, then drag and drop the note from Explorer into a note.

Related feature requests

Similar request from the pane era: Allow for dragging of note icon or tab to create link

Also in that thread:

Thanks!

2 Likes

I merged these, because unless I misunderstood, effectively it sounds like the same idea. You’ve proposed a modifier key as implementation, which is very smart, so you can clearly choose to move a tab, or drag a link.

But dragging from the tab or the icon. It’s sort of the same concept.

And I’ll repeat my old idea. I still think it would be great to have a “copy Wikilink” command. I would use that more often than dragging, personally.

1 Like

Thanks! In some ways I just wanted to give attention to the request and remove any misunderstandings or disconnect that may result from the use of “pane” when describing the request. Also, that is great that you edited the title to refer to “tab”. The reference to the “Note icon”, which no longer exists, is part of the reason I thought a new feature request might be warranted. I always feel conflicted about editing a title, but I was tempted in this case.

I appreciate the help. Good stuff!

1 Like

Yeah good call, thanks for raising the change in terminology! And I made a separate request about the command.

1 Like

Great!

I figured I might as well link your request: Add "Copy Wikilink" command

It’s such a great idea. I have this lame AutoHotkey macro that uses F2, and ctrl c to copy the note name then focuses right, pastes the name on a new line, selects that line via plugin hotkeys, and finally adds double brackets, then arrows right a few times. The new command would be a huge relief.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Related topic: Drag and drop tab onto canvas to create note card

Thanks!