Unusual lag since 1.0.0 on Windows (not Mac)

I will second this. Also on Windows 10, nothing cpu or graphically intensive running.

I am noticing the markdown rendering in while scrolling now. My vault isn’t very different from yesterday pre-update.

1 Like

I’m seeing this on linux too. Not just highlighting but scrolling using the keyboard is very laggy.

Also a big performance hit connected to dataview. I have a query open in one pane, and typing in another pane, which is not part of the query, spikes cpu usage. The query is constantly refreshing while I type. After closing the pane with the query (or just not typing anything) cpu usage goes back to normal.

1 Like

The OP had an non Obsidian related problem.
For anybody else expiriencing this.

1. Is there anything other program that is taxing you computer?
  2. can you reproduce with default theme, restricted mode, restart obsidian?

If you still can, please provide a performance snapshot
Ctrl-shift-I/Cmd-opt-i → performance tab → record button → do the action that lags → wait → stop recording → export to file → zip it and upload it here or DM to us on discord

1 Like

Here is one profile. This is in safe mode, default theme obsidian restarted. This is scrolling up with the keyboard holding down the up arrow, and the vim up key. The number of panes open seems to make a difference. With just one pane there is less lag. The recording has three open.

Hope this helps.

Profile-20221014T170417.zip (2.0 MB)

1. Nothing taxing my computer
  2. This is from my own vault (ie not help/sandbox), with default theme, restricted mode, restarted obsidian

This is me selecting text with the mouse, with several panes open. Lagged even more than usual with the recording turned on. Highlighting lagged behind mouse cursor by several hundred msec

Profile-20221016T094717.zip (2.2 MB)

Same.
Maybe my computer is pretty ancient and so the program became almost unusable. Checked in a new Vault, the same thing: laggy when scrolling and typing text (actually maybe not the same, lags are smaller but present).

Also what I’ve noticed: lags are much smaller when using new window (i.e. without side panels etc)

To add a small data point: I opened the same vault while logged into a different Windows user account, and it worked normally, with no lag. Same plugins enabled etc. So a particular vault by itself does not seem to be a necessary + sufficient cause.

I’m having the same issue’s as OP, plus the typing lag is really disorienting for me.

I have a 144hz monitor and there’s also a noticeable scroll lag when scrolling larger notes with the mouse wheel. All this started sometime after Obsidian 1.0.0. because nothing else changed for me (I wasn’t even home with my PC for 7 days)

For anybody else expiriencing this.

1. Is there anything other program that is taxing you computer?
  2. can you reproduce with default theme, restricted mode, restart obsidian?

If you still can, please provide a performance snapshot
Ctrl-shift-I/Cmd-opt-i → performance tab → record button → do the action that lags → wait → stop recording → export to file → zip it and upload it here or DM to us on discord

1 Like

Thank you for at least acknowledging us! Such a great community. I have already tried some of these troubleshooting steps:

1. Disabled all plugins. Lag still present
  2. I have always only used the default theme. Lag still present.
  3. Tried the sandbox vault. Lag a little bit decreased but still present.

There is nothing else taxing my PC which, although an older computer, still runs games fine. I am also on Windows 11 with the latest updates applied. I can say with near 100% confidence that this lag was not present in earlier versions of Obsidian (and I have been a user since the very first publicly available version). It really is noticeable and really takes out the joy of using Obsidian for me.

I will try a couple of other troubleshooting steps tomorrow, including trying a different windows profile and your two suggestions @WhiteNoise.

Failing that, I will record a performance snapshot and upload it here.

Cheers!

I have run into a similar issue on my Win10 machine (couple of years old but Core i7 laptop). Lag on the typing and highlighting of text. I don’t have a large vault or run excess of plugins. I am running Vivaldi as my browser and when I disable hardware acceleration on Vivaldi I notice a BIG improvement on performance on Obsidian. This makes me think it’s a GPU resource issue which my Intel UHD onboard cannot keep up with. Hope this helps.

Yea this lag is getting out of hand. Obsidian is taking 64% cpu load, out of the 75% total. I can’t even get a performance snapshot done (or rather, it has been in the process of computing the “click finished”-button for the last seven minutes.)

I’ll update once I get a sample that actually gets saved (and I remember where the button for that was).

I’m seeing this on Win 10 as well. Scrolling with the keyboard just stops updating the display until I release the arrow keys. Same effect in the Sandbox vault as well, although it is less noticeable. I have been getting around this by scrolling with the mouse which works ok. That is not ideal though for an app that is designed for text editing. Really should be able to use the keyboard.

Profile-20221218T113608.zip (1.6 MB)

Minor update, I reinstalled Windows 10 from scratch, and the problem is gone, at least for now. No further ideas as to the cause.

One thing to maybe try: When I had the issue, it might have been caused / made worse by windows going into ‘low performance mode’ after a windows update. I went back to normal performance mode and it got much better.

I just turned off clipboard history in settings and now it is much more responsive. Odd thing is, I toggled it back on and lag in Obsidian is still gone? Anyhow, that worked for me so I can recommend giving that a try.

Are you talking about the Windows Clipboard history? I wouldn’t see how this could have an effect on Obsidian… but then, I’m not a developer, and computers are completely illogical :wink:

Yes, Windows 10 added a clipboard history (WIN + V) which I had turned on when I installed Windows. Originally it was off by default. Anyhow turning it off made the lag disappear for me and like I said earlier, I toggled it back on and Obsidian is still snappy using the keyboard.

I have no idea how this worked but I’m not complaining! I no longer need to use the mouse to select large amounts of text.

+1

Profile-20230108T160054.json.zip (2.5 MB)

• Obsidian-v1.1.9
  • Ubuntu-22.04

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.