Unintended Code Blocks due to HTML Comments Disabling Markdown Lists

What I’m trying to do

I was trying to use the Spaced Repetition plugin’s flashcard feature inside of a list, but it adds HTML comment tags below each line marked as a flashcard, which for some reason turns the next bulletpoint below it into an indented piece of text instead of an actual bulletpoint.

For example:

1. Legislative leadership
	1. Can veto
		- Pocket veto :: let legislation expire within 10 days of Congress adjourning
<!--SR:!2022-01-06,3,250-->
		- Signing statement :: statement attached to signing of bill into law that *states president's interpretation* of the law and *declaration that he will enforce how he sees fit*

(The arrows are supposed to be “- - >” without spaces)

This properly adds the two “pocket veto” and “signing statement” flashcards, but the entire signing statement section becomes a code block and is not a list. Here is what it actually looks like:

1. Legislative leadership
    1. Can veto
      • Pocket veto :: let legislation expire within 10 days of Congress adjourning
	- Signing statement :: statement attached to signing of bill into law that *states president's interpretation* of the law and *declaration that he will enforce how he sees fit*

A solution to this seems to be to either somehow:

1. Disable the ability to display code in this file, and if that is possible through CSS then I can maybe attach that to a class and apply it to similar notes with YAML frontmatter
  2. Make the second bulletpoint get interpreted as a list somehow. I couldn’t get this to work, it seems the syntax messes stuff up, I don’t know why.

Things I have tried

I have tried to search the help docs and also have tried to edit my CSS theme file to add a class without code blocks but it looks like you can’t remove code block display because of markdown.

EDIT: I just noticed that this help document also uses the same notation for the instructions regarding the “Things I have tried” section, I will try to look up what that means and how to get it to stop messing with bulletpoints.
EDIT 2: Those are HTML comments, I don’t know why they mess up the list.
It seems that a pain in the ass workaround is to do this using manual HTML crap:

<ul> top item
	<ul>  
	 <li>First ::item</li>  
	 <li>Second item</li>  
	 <li>Third item</li>  
	 <li>Fourth item</li>  
</ul>

Does anyone know a non pain in the ass way to get this working?

SOLVED

I searched the plugin page and there is an option to put the comment on the same line as the list, which preserves the list formatting.

Leaving up the post in case someone else has the issue, hopefully nobody gets trolled into reading the whole issue and then realizing it’s solved lol

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.