I use following workaround to create hotkeys without modifier keys.
I used similar procedure to set one-key hotkeys in TheBrain previously.
It requires manually editing “config” file so be careful .
I have the config file located in “MyObsidianVaultFolder/.obsidian”.
- Locate “config” file and make a backup copy for safety in case of editing error.
- In Obsidian in hotkey settings, set e.g. “Ctrl+F1” to “Open quick switcher” command.
This will create following record in “config” file:
(Edit 2021-01-06: JSON in “config” is changed to single line so adjust the whitespace accordingly when searching.)
- Open original “config” file in text editor, e.g. notepad.
- Use Ctrl+F to Search for “F1” in order to locate record specified above.
- In that record, delete line:
- Save changes in “config” file.
- Reload Obsidian
- Press “F1” to open quick switcher.
Also alphabetic keys can be set as hotkeys but unfortunately, they are incompatible with writing because, unlike in TheBrain, they are not deactivated when active pane is in edit mode.
I might request that when more important functionality is implemented. In TheBrain it effectively reduced number of key-presses needed for navigation for less than half.