I installed Obsidian and imported notes I had exported from Simplenote into a new vault.
Afterwards I was unable to create a new note in this vault.
Searching the forum I found this old bug report which pointed me to the solution:
It turns out the issue was that the vault contained a file named
Deleting that file resolved the issue.
The bug report linked above has been closed, however the bug itself still exists.
I don’t think it is at all reasonable that the existence of a
untitled.md file should render the app useless (being able to create new notes seems pretty important).
Steps to reproduce
- Open a new or existing vault
- Create a new note and change the title to “untitled” (lowercase)
- Try to create another new note
A new note is created and displayed on screen.
- Operating system:
- Obsidian version:
The vault is on an APFS drive, which is not case-sensitive. This is the default on macOS.