Typomagical - A theme for typographic appreciators

Hi Marty, I’m at work for a while longer but wanted to give a quick reply

Thank you very much for your interest in my new little theme!

My other theme, Vileplume, is indeed mostly abandoned and only updated if i’m made aware of severe breaking changes.

Typomagical on the other hand is my daily driver and i plan to update it with fixes and major features for quite a long time, so please rest assured I will read all suggestions/ideas, including yours!

1 Like

That’s simple. It’s this response.

Saying it’s their individual perception makes it hard for them to respond to a post that looks frankly aggressive. So I pointed out that it wasn’t simply their individual perception.

Not trying to convince you. Simply observing that they came across to me that way too.

3 Likes

I request everyone in this thread take a step back from arguing. Please keep this thread on topic.

1 Like

Thanks Chris! Let’s get back to typographically pretty styling and features :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was hoping see more features like multicolored highlights text styling image grids and other features

Interesting - I’m actually not sure what you mean by any of these features: multicoloured highlights? image grids? Can you name any particular themes with these features for me to look at?

Thanks, @hungsu. For highlights, I was referring to something like GitHub - jdanielmourao/obsidian-sanctum: A minimalist theme for Obsidian, with the aim of creating a serene space of retreat, for thought and uninterrupted work. and listed as multi-colored highlights. For image grid, I was referring to something like Theme: ITS (Dark/Light Theme) - #126 by SlRvb and listed under Image Grid.

Whether either belongs with your theme, I leave to you.

2 Likes

Hi all! It’s been a busy time and will continue to be busy for me over the Christmas holiday, but I’m working on getting WYSIWYG as clean as possible, particularly in the wake of CodeMirror 6. It’s not too bad now but with definite noticeable problems that I’d like to keep squashing.

In the meantime, one other thing I’m looking into is lovely round glyphs for ordered lists, like so!

jsoY3ikLCW

1 Like

I’m having a problem with Typomagical not displaying non-ASCII characters on the iPad.

This is how it looks on the iPad:
IMG_1C799CFB01A9-1

This is how it’s supposed to look (and how it looks on the Mac):
Zrzut ekranu 2021-12-14 o 12.08.16

I’m wondering: is it due to Typomagical using fonts that aren’t installed by default on iOS? Do you know of any fix? Typomagical is by far my favorite theme, and it’s a pity I can’t use it on the iPad.

1 Like

Hi @gestaltist ! That looks EXTREMELY annoying :frowning: But thankfully, it should be fixable! I added an update recently for Extended Latin and I may just need to either add additional character set or add a backup font.

Could I trouble you to send some examples of characters that are not rendering correctly? I don’t know how to type that interesting L character

Oh I found it - it’s Polish? :slight_smile: Ł - Wikipedia

It is definitely interesting that this affects only your iPad and not your Mac. I’ll see what I can do :slight_smile:

Yes, it’s Polish, you got it!. This seems to be happening to some non-Polish characters, as well. I tested a few, and – for example – “á” gets rendered but “ā” doesn’t.

Some characters that don’t get rendered: ą, ę, ń, ł, ż.

Testing it further, I discovered something very weird, though! If they come first in the link, they get rendered. If they are between two other letters, though, they disappear. I also noticed that sometimes they don’t get the capitalized treatment while I type, and typically they disappear after that. It’s all very weird.

Thanks for the help. I really love your theme!

Thank you! Always glad to hear when people enjoy my simple theme amongst the much fancier themes out there :smiley:

Okay, I just pushed up a small update to the theme. I’m not quite sure if it will work, I didn’t look on an iPad yet. But even so, could you update your ipad theme and take a look?

1 Like

Absolutely. Your theme with the Vileplume setting is the best experience I’ve had with Obsidian :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: One suggestion though: you might add explicit info that the Plugin “Style Settings” is needed to change the color scheme. Took me a while to figure it out.

And yes, whatever you did worked. This problem was also there on the iPhone (I don’t use Obsidian much on the iPhone so I didn’t notice at first), and your update fixed it on both iPad and iPhone.

Out of curiosity: what was the problem?

1 Like

Oh I’m so glad you like Vileplume! On looking at the theme again in the marketplace it’s certainly not clear there are style settings, I’ll have to make a new thumbnail!

The problem was subtle and weird as you noticed. On links, the font is called “Spectral SC”, with “Spectral” as a backup if characters are missing. Windows Mac and Android seemed happy to switch to the backup, but it seems iPad was not happy to do that. To fix it I had to add the Latin Extended character set of Spectral SC to the theme. This increases the theme download size a bit, but for Obsidian I think that’s okay :slight_smile: Thank you again for helping me improve the theme!

1 Like

Hi hungsu. I would like to raise one more topic: H1 titles. The fonts you’ve chosen all seem to not be full Unicode fonts which is a bummer because my Polish characters look bad:

As you can see, Polish characters are not the same size as the rest, and this is true of all three fonts you make available for H1 headings. Any chance to add a proper Unicode font in there?

1 Like

Hi, this theme is awesome! Love it!

It seems that there hasn’t been any font family assigned for CJK words yet. I think Source Han Serif or simply KaiTi would look great. Just a small suggestion : )

headings and the main body are Source Han Serif and the internal links are in KaiTi

1 Like

Hi @gestaltist , I can look later today! Could you send me that snippet of text? Jak wytrwac w nawyku po poczatkowym opanowaniu - this will make it a bit easier for me to confirm my fix works!

Sure, here’s the text: Jak wytrwać w nawyku po początkowym opanowaniu go? Thanks for taking a look at it.

Should work now for all three title fonts! Please take a look :slight_smile:

Wow, you’re absurdly fast with your fixes. Sure enough, it works perfectly now. You gained my loyalty now. :slight_smile: I’m deleting all the other themes from my vault.

One side note: personally I feel that the default size of titles is too big, and I scaled it down to Major Second. It would have been fine if Obsidian were a longform writing app but since it’s a notes app, humongous titles were a little jarring to me. But this is the only nitpick I could find in your otherwise gorgeous and well thought-out theme, and since it’s customizable, who cares. :slight_smile:

2 Likes