Typing pipe "|" when inserting a link doesn't autocomplete

Steps to reproduce

1. Create a link with [[
  2. Select something from the autocomplete
  3. Type “|” to give it a different name

Expected result

Autocompletes the result and puts cursor after “|”.

This should be the same behavior as when inserting ^ or # for backlinks

Actual result

Doesn’t autocomplete and just inserts “|”, resulting in a non-functional link

Environment

• Operating system: MacOS Big Sur 11.1
  • Obsidian version: v0.10.18

Additional information

1 Like

nope, this is done on purpose. search the forum.

It would be nice if you could actually link to some of those posts (we like banklinks, right?), because when I was creating this I wasn’t able to find anything relevant (probably my search wasn’t good).

I searched again and found Using display text `|` in links does not auto-complete the selected note - #2 by WhiteNoise which is another post of you saying “this was discussed and reported other times”

Searched again and found Using pipe for alternative text does not autocomplete the link - #2 by WhiteNoise

It not a bug. It’s a design decision. Otherwise you could not easily write non-existing pages.

Maybe I don’t fully understand what the usecase for “write non-existing pages” is. When would you want to link to pages that don’t exist yet? I’m asking because I genuinely don’t know.

(Also this really feels like a bug because it’s so similar and yet not working the same as as ^ and #. If this is being asked over and over again, maybe this design choice is not as clear as thought and needs some rethinking/adjustment. Or maybe some easy-to-find tip somewhere that you should press TAB for that case.)

1 Like

I ever saw it discussed. It’s so old post (it’s hard to find. I tried to search it again, but not find it). Hope you can understand WhiteNoise.

Writing non-existing pages means you type [[link with no page]] which is not existed .md file (just link). People usually use this because they’re still writing in the current page and want to make [[page]] for later (think it as potential page).

If “|” make an autocomplete, it will be hard to make alias for [[link with no page]] because it will create autocomplete with existing page, not with non-existing page.

For workaround, they will need to press “Esc” to avoid autocomplete with existing page and this creates a writing friction. That’s why “|” doesn’t create an autocomplete.

Different with #, ^, which people will always want to link to existing page.

Sorry for my bad English, hope it’s help.