Turn off new YAML 1.4?

If you’re saying your layout is like the following:

---
Tags: #Personal
---

Then you actually have invalid YAML. The # character denotes a comment, so none of the tags for your notes are actually applied.

4 Likes

Of course you don’t find it, they have not implemented that option.
Mine was just a suggestion for the developers, sorry to illude you :sweat_smile:

Tags in Properties (and, therefore in YAML) do not require the hashmark. Just use

tags: Personal

Thanks for the help. Will drop the hashtag going forward. However, Evernote export (using Evernote export, and Obsidian Evernote plugin) uses the hashtag in the YAML section. So apparently it is somewhat standard procedure.

Got it - apologies. Good idea though.

1 Like

Hello.

Don’t know about Evernote.

Hashes are allowed in YAML as comment indicators. In the image below, you can see that #hash in the YAML is not recognized as a tag (because it is a comment), so it is not read in queries (see the example q1 hash). The #yesahash tag in the body can be queried.

---
date: 2023-08-03
tags: nohash, #hash, 
# End of sample YAML
---

#yesahash

# q1 nohash

```dataview 
Table
FROM #nohash
Where file.name = this.file.name
```

# q1 hash

```dataview 
Table
FROM #hash
```

# q1 yesahash

```dataview 
Table
FROM #yesahash
```
3 Likes

Thanks for the explanation - appreciated.

1 Like

I need to turn off the new YAML format (AKA File Properties)

It crops Properties names that are “too long” with no option to expand the column.
It does not work with Templates and the Quick Add plugin.
These are just the issues I found in the few minutes trying to work.

I am not ready to completely change my workflow for an feature that does not work as it did before and is not optional. I thought one of the core Obsidian Ideals was Future Proof notes. As the OP demonstrates, what once worked no longer does.

3 Likes

Also, I see that feature is likely a boon for mouse users, but…
The plugin (how do I unplug it?) does not allow typing in the date properties. There are date plugins that allow typing @T{enter} and getting today’s date. Three strokes, now I have to know the date and use a different date format than the one used everywhere else in my notes.

1 Like

for those trying to look for the solution. Thiscan be reverted in the settings.

Settings> “Editor” tab> “Display” heading > “Properties in document” > “Source” option.

6 Likes

Thank you so much!

This really helps, but it still changes how QuickAdd and other plug-ins interact with the files. It has change what is considered the top of the file.

You can open issues on the Github repo of the “problematic” plugin(s)… or check if the issues you’re facing haven’t been reported already and add your voice :blush: .

Not all dev try to update their plugin(s) while a brand-new feature is in beta… with reasons as if a feature is still in beta, it also means the feature isn’t stable enough to be publicly released/contains bugs that should be taken care of first… and things might change fast.
So, updating a plugin before a public launch might be a waste of time and energy.

And, not all dev have access to Insiders releases of Obsidian. So, for some of them, even if they wanted to look at the new feature in a preventive way, they might just be unable to do so …

As for this :

What do you mean that ? :thinking:

1 Like

It’s strange, as it works for me without problem:

Allowing #tag to the tags key was added at some point while Properties was still in beta :blush:.

Apparently, when v1.4.4 was released:

• Properties: Tags can optionally start with a leading ‘#’.

My struggle/frustration is that this new feature significantly changed my workflow, in the middle of a shift. So instead of focusing on work, I needed to address this. [rant deleted]

Reply for your question:
I am using QuickAdd and have it setup to start with a template and add some text. The template file has some YAML and before the update QuickAdd recognized that YAML has to be at the top of the file, so even when adding Text at the top of the file, QuickAdd was smart enough to add it below the YAML. Post update something about how YAML rendered before being parsed by QuickAdd has changed. Now QuickAdd adds my text above the YAML and this of course breaks the YAML parsing. I have also noticed that the Natural Date plugin is no longer able to recognize when I type the @ symbol when I use the File Properties Source mode.

I am not asking for any of this to be changed. I truly appreciate all of the work by everyone. Obsidian has been such an improvement over OneNote that I have become spoiled by how well it works with my workflow. This update was just a speed bump that I took too fast and it was jarring, but I am still on the road and loving Obsidian and all of its plugins.

2 Likes

I think a workflow is broken when a ‘feature’ or a best practice is imposed upon everyone.

3 Likes

How do we request that toggling between Editor Properties visible and source can be assigned a hot key?
Or is there a way to do it from Javascript?

Go to Latest Feature requests topics - Obsidian Forum and write your featuer request. :wink:

My YAML disappeared too. I always start my notes with spaces, then start with the —. Removing the spaces however, made the metadata visible and in the new “properties” format.

How? I unclick properties from the core plug-ins, but it’s still here. I want to go back to my simple yaml Metadata. This properties thing has ruined my obsidian.