'Translucent window' setting results in increasingly laggy window drag movements as mouse polling frequency increases

fixed in 0.9.17 with new installer.

I just started using Translucent mode on my personal computer and encounter the same issue.
It was working fine on my workplace computer.

My installer version is v0.9.20.

what is your os version and GPU?

This is my windows os version and GPU

It’s possible that is a combination of electron/gpu/os version

操作系统: Windows 10 Home edition 20h2 19042.662
Obsidian version: 0.9.20

What’s you GPU?

I can’t reproduce it. Perhaps, it’s GPU problem.
Not sure if you can force Obs to run on 620 or on 250 to see if it makes any difference.

Don’t have any effect, I have tried, it is the software itself

1 Like

Same problem with Obsidian v0.10.1
Nvidia 2070 Super
Windows 10 Education Edition

I’ve got the same problem on a 2017 MacBook Pro.

2 Likes

@WhiteNoise
Same Problem.
Obsidian 0.10.1
ASUS Predator, Windows 10, Graphics: NVidia 1050Ti

Hi all,

I am having the same problem: with Radeon RX5500 and intel -i5-10500 on Windows 10, Home.

So far I have been using Obsidian only with Linux Machines, and have never had an issue. even now, when I don’t have a similar issue with my laptops with Nvidia GPU and an old laptop with Intel HD graphics.

in fact, I am getting the tearing/lagging when resizing not only when the transparent mode is on, but also when it is off (but in a lesser extent).

As a side note, I am having similar problems with other electron apps, such as Notion or ClicUp

1 Like

Disabling the native transparency in Windows resolved the lag for me (without actually removing translucency from Obsidian). Having to choose one or the other is obviously not ideal, but it’s at least a workaround and is indicative of what the cause might be. (probably some buggy interaction between native transparency and whatever Obsidian/Electron is doing)

Adjusting the polling rate (1000->125hz) had some effect, but remained very laggy for me. (on a 60 hz monitor) I did some benchmarking and found that a 5 second move took approximately 60s at 1000hz, 40s at 500hz, 20s at 250hz and 10s at 125hz respectively.

Obsidian 0.10.7
GTX 770
Windows 10 Pro N 20H2

2 Likes

Same here, using Obsidian 0.10.11 & Windows 20H2.
This may help with this, and maybe someone can make this a plugin.

1 Like

The issue is still present in the latest release of Obsidian, v0.10.13 (Installer version v0.10.7). This was recorded on Windows 10 Pro 20H2 19042.746 on an RTX 2080 GPU running driver version 461.09, on an Intel i9-9900K, on a 144 Hz G-Sync (disabled) display.

I thought it might be worth noting, as a potential indication of where the issue might stem from, that the VSCode-Vibrancy extension for Visual Studio Code, which adds the same ‘acrylic material’ transparency effect found in the Fluent Design API, causes it to lag in the same way for me. Terminal, another app that features the same transparency effect (?), however, doesn’t lag when it’s enabled. What is the difference between the two implementations, and why do some experience this issue and not others? Is Obsidian leveraging the ‘acrylic material’ effect, or something similar but different?

Happening for me on M1 MacBook Air.

Steps to reproduce

turn on translucent window

Expected result

translucent window

Actual result

https://gofile.io/d/QrCQgg

Environment

• Operating system: win 10
  • Obsidian version: 0.11.3

Additional information

Close your transparent effect in the Color setting of windows should fix this issue.

1 Like