Toggle on/off Markdown features

Problem

Markdown is a powerful but non-standard tool. There are many flavors and variations of markdown with conflicting syntaxes and features.

Proposed Solution

Wouldn’t it be wonderful to have a menu of all the features of all the markdown flavors, each with their own individual on/off toggle? Wouldn’t it be even better if plugins were allowed to individually add their own Markdown features?

Use cases:

1. Do you want to type a particular character but it conflicts with a certain Markdown feature that you rarely use, if ever? What if you could simply turn that feature off?
  2. Obsidian has a wide variety of users, who use a wide variety of Markdown flavors. But Obsidian itself, only has one Markdown variety. Perhaps, it could be much easier for devs to have a user-customizable Markdown engine. Then if the users ask for a particular obscure markdown feature, the devs don’t need to make it because the plugin community could make it.
1 Like

Apologies for the necro, but this would still be useful. Here are two more use cases:

1. As a writer, tabs becoming code blocks is baffling, and turning that off would be ideal. (Simple CSS fixes do not work, because code blocks turn off styling inside them.)

2. Similarly, new lines in the live previews not becoming new paragraphs in view mode (unless suffixed with two spaces) is a shock as well. (I recognize that this was intended because devs like hard new lines instead of word wrap, but it is surprising and unwelcome as a writer.)

So far as I can tell, while the latter can be patched with a markdown post-processor (I think, I haven’t yet tried), the former cannot. (Please correct me if I’m wrong.)

2 Likes