Click links/files to open in new tab by default

Mod Edit: This FR is specifically about always opening links in a NEW tab.
If the note/link is already open in another tab and you want to REUSE/open that tab, please go here

Sorry if I’m getting cheeky posting a multiple small feature requests but the devs have really spoiled us :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: and small things like this would greatly improve QOL imo

When I go to open a link or file, 99% of the time I want to open it in a new tab and I’d figure this is the case for most Andy mode users, so I’d love to have a toggle to swap the hotkeys for link opening (or set custom hotkeys but not really necessary)

Basically, instead of a link or a file being opened in active window by default when clicked, and new window when cmd+clicked, it would toggle to open in new window by default, and active window when cmd+clicked.

This would save my pinky finger :smiley:

196 Likes

You can define your own hotkey combo to open links or open link in new pane
See the option in the configuration

I for one like the fact that following links opens them in the current windows to keep my screen decluttered. Or mayby I misunderstood what you want exactly…?

This is for having your text cursor/caret on the line on the text of the link and then pressing the keycombo, not for your clicking cursor (unless I’m using it wrong)

And absolutely, I’m sure theres many people that have that preference too, so a toggle to change the default would be really helpful is all

9 Likes

yeah~I have the same request.
Now,every time I click on the file on the left filelist, I have to press ctrl.
I am very tired of pressing ctrl repeatly.
Hope it could have a choice to make open in new window deflaut!!!

7 Likes

I would also really like this feature, my biggest point is just that VSCode supports the same choice (they call it preview mode/edit mode, if you do not edit a file it will not open a new tab but this behavior can be changed in the settings).
I very very frequently just click files and search for things and want everything open.
on the same note, a button to close all open tabs would be nice, but is not necessarily since you can just spam click the far right X until everything is gone

8 Likes

You can click the menu in the upper right corner of the note window to execute the [lock] command.

Then you can click the link when previewing the notes and view the linked notes in a new window.

你可以点击笔记窗口的右上角菜单,执行【锁定】命令。
然后就可以在预览笔记时点击链接,在新窗口查看链接的笔记了。

7 Likes

+1, I want it too!

5 Likes

I’d also like to add my voice! Opening a file or link in new tab automatically would be greatly welcomed as an option.

5 Likes

voicing my support towards this idea, too.

Am an alfred user (as such don’t really use obsidian’s in-app navigation/search function) - having a toggle that can set the default opening behaviour would be a charm.

2 Likes

I tried the idea of pinning a note so that it would not be close/replaced by the opening of a new one. Trouble is, if you click on a link that points to the pinned note the pinned note should open to the pinned note. This does not occur. If the link to the pinned note is a block level link, then the pinned note should open to that block. That does not happen which is default behavior, but only if the note IS NOT pinned. Consequently, pinning to stop a note from closing is not a good work-around.

3 Likes

Use case or problem

By default, when you click on an internal link it opens in the same pane, unless ctrl is pressed, which opens it in a new pane.

As I am using sliding panes, it doesn’t hurt to keep opening new panes, and I would rather not close the note I am reading to go to the linked note.

So, I strongly prefer that simple link click open in a new pane, and if another key (e.g., ctrl) pressed, in the same pane.

Proposed solution

A simple option to toggle the default behavior of link clicks should do the trick.

Current workaround (optional)

Nothing that I know of.

Related feature requests (optional)

29 Likes

If you pin the pane, a click on the link opens in another pane, not the best but it helps

5 Likes

Thanks. I hope there’d be a more convenient solution soon :wink: :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

As a complement, I would like hotkey to toggle whether focus moves to (activates) new pane or stays on current one.

Current workaround:

If you use mouse, then you can middle click to open link in new pane.
Not feasible on laptop unless you remap some another key by Keyboard Maestro or AutoHotkey. Such key is then disabled for other actions so requested behavior is preferable. Perhaps it could be done as a plugin. #plugins

3 Likes

Hi @psyguy if you’re using MacOS you can use BetterTouchTool to workaround this. When in the Obsidian app, it maps my middle-click on the mouse and 4 finger tap on trackpad to CMD + Click.

2 Likes

Hi @neldeles,

I am on Windows, unfortunately.

+1, please add it, it will reduce significant amount of time for a lot of people our there like me.
Current mechanism divides the attention of user and hampers the productivity.
a toggle, by default false, would not hurt.

ain’t the objective of Obsidian app to enable users be more productive, save time and fucus on content rather than spending more time with app itself?

3 Likes

Another +1 on this, every browser these days has a setting when opening new links and also whether or not to switch to the newly opened item or not.

1 Like

its not really a solution or workaround, but may be helpful to some of you: I’ve set a hotkey to open the same note in a new tab by pressing cmt-t / ctrl-t (just like in a browser). The command is called “split vertically”.

Another option could be to use Hover Editor, and turn off “Require cmd to trigger page preview” in the “Page preview” settings; and minimize the time delay to open - this way you can open editable hover previews instantly without extra clicks.

2 Likes

This idea seems pretty basic, I’m sad it’s been sitting around on the forum for over a year now. Having a way to default the link opening seems pretty obvious, or at least enabling that change in behavior so plugins like the Sliding Panes plugin can expose a preference to enable this?

4 Likes