Toggle clicked links/files to open in new window by default, in same window with cmd (or custom hotkeys)

Sorry if I’m getting cheeky posting a multiple small feature requests but the devs have really spoiled us :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: and small things like this would greatly improve QOL imo

When I go to open a link or file, 99% of the time I want to open it in a new tab and I’d figure this is the case for most Andy mode users, so I’d love to have a toggle to swap the hotkeys for link opening (or set custom hotkeys but not really necessary)

Basically, instead of a link or a file being opened in active window by default when clicked, and new window when cmd+clicked, it would toggle to open in new window by default, and active window when cmd+clicked.

This would save my pinky finger :smiley:

6 Likes

You can define your own hotkey combo to open links or open link in new pane
See the option in the configuration

I for one like the fact that following links opens them in the current windows to keep my screen decluttered. Or mayby I misunderstood what you want exactly…?

This is for having your text cursor/caret on the line on the text of the link and then pressing the keycombo, not for your clicking cursor (unless I’m using it wrong)

And absolutely, I’m sure theres many people that have that preference too, so a toggle to change the default would be really helpful is all

1 Like

yeah~I have the same request.
Now,every time I click on the file on the left filelist, I have to press ctrl.
I am very tired of pressing ctrl repeatly.
Hope it could have a choice to make open in new window deflaut!!!

I would also really like this feature, my biggest point is just that VSCode supports the same choice (they call it preview mode/edit mode, if you do not edit a file it will not open a new tab but this behavior can be changed in the settings).
I very very frequently just click files and search for things and want everything open.
on the same note, a button to close all open tabs would be nice, but is not necessarily since you can just spam click the far right X until everything is gone

You can click the menu in the upper right corner of the note window to execute the [lock] command.

Then you can click the link when previewing the notes and view the linked notes in a new window.

你可以点击笔记窗口的右上角菜单,执行【锁定】命令。
然后就可以在预览笔记时点击链接,在新窗口查看链接的笔记了。

+1, I want it too!

I’d also like to add my voice! Opening a file or link in new tab automatically would be greatly welcomed as an option.

voicing my support towards this idea, too.

Am an alfred user (as such don’t really use obsidian’s in-app navigation/search function) - having a toggle that can set the default opening behaviour would be a charm.