TODOs/Tasks' first word gets styled differently

We strongly recommend you to search the forum with possible keywords before submitting a new bug report. Please also try your repro steps with third-party plugins and custom CSS disabled and see if it’s still reproducible. If it’s an issue with third-party plugins or themes, try contacting the author for help. Once you’ve done the above, delete this line.

Steps to reproduce

When maintaining tasks/todos in obsidian (via - [ ] multiple words) obsidian keeps adding classes cm-meta or cm-property to the span of a first word in that tasks line, which leads to coloring them differently with the standard themes (black or red).
This is with the default light and dark theme, with no custom CSS enabled.
The behavior seems to be arbitrary and can be fixed by removing and re-adding the space before the text. Is this a bug or intended behavior? If the latter, what am I missing?

Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-09 um 07.43.41

Expected result

TODOs to be styled as usual text in reliable manner.

Actual result

TODOs first word has the cm-meta or cm-property class assigned in arbitrary situations.

Environment

• Operating system: MacOS 12.0.1 Monterey
  • Obsidian version: 0.12.19

Additional information

Thanks everyone in advance for their help.

It was pointed out to me, that the screenshot shows another theme. That is correct and my bad. Here is the screenshot reproducing the issue with the default dark theme.
Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-09 um 12.03.38

I can’t reproduce this with the default theme/no third party plugins.
Please, post a screen recording of this happening in the help vault.

Sorry for the delay. Here is the video.
obsidian-todo-repro-video.mp4.zip (1.1 MB)

what’s your installer version? settings>about

what do you get with cmd-p > debug ?

Bildschirmfoto 2022-01-31 um 06.24.45

SYSTEM INFO:
	Obsidian version: v0.13.23
	Installer version: v0.12.19
	Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 21.2.0: Sun Nov 28 20:29:10 PST 2021; root:xnu-8019.61.5~1/RELEASE_ARM64_T8101 21.2.0
	Login status: logged in
	Catalyst license: none
	Insider build toggle: off
	Live preview: off
	Legacy editor: off
	Base theme: dark
	Community theme: none
	Snippets enabled: 0
	Safe mode: off
	Plugins installed: 1
	Plugins enabled: 1
		1: Obsidian TODO | Text-based GTD

RECOMMENDATIONS:
	Community plugins: for bugs, please first try updating all your plugins to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the help vault or disable community plugins.

I noticed that you have obsidian Todo enabled. What happens if you disable it and restart obsidian?

Unfortunately not. Here is another video with safe mode on.

obsidian-todo-repro-2-safe-mode.mp4.zip (833.5 KB)

SYSTEM INFO:
	Obsidian version: v0.13.23
	Installer version: v0.12.19
	Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 21.2.0: Sun Nov 28 20:29:10 PST 2021; root:xnu-8019.61.5~1/RELEASE_ARM64_T8101 21.2.0
	Login status: logged in
	Catalyst license: none
	Insider build toggle: off
	Live preview: on
	Legacy editor: off
	Base theme: dark
	Community theme: none
	Snippets enabled: 0
	Safe mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
	none

I am sorry but we can’t reproduce what you are describing and we haven’t had any other user reporting this.
One thing that comes to my mind is that perhaps your keyboard is sending unusual hidden characters that confuse the parser.

Thanks for getting back that quickly. Based on your comment, I saw in the DevTools that in fact   was inserted instead of space. Formatting was correct, when I replaced that with a plain space in the DevTools.

The reason for   being inserted seems to be my lazy fingers still having ALT pressed (after typing ]), which MacOS turns into a non-breaking space. Here is a thread with multiple ways how to disable that shortcut (which I haven’t tested): macos - How to disable the Option-Space key combination for non-breaking spaces? - Super User

Solved, thanks and sorry for bothering :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.