This app has been blocked by the system administrator - but I am the admin

Hello,
I want to give Obsidian a try (on Windows 10), however something is not right.
I had troubles while installing the app - the installation would hang around this percentage:

However, after killing it, it *seems * Obsidian is installed - but when I click on the .exe, I get this message.
I am the system admin, I have no problems installing other programs (including random exes from Github), so I wonder what can be done here. I tried running it as administrator, checking if it’s blocked by anything, moving it out from AppData folder but still no change.

No further info available on this message box…

============
Update:
Actually, after writing this post, I ran the installation again, and this time… it succeeded, but ended up with the ‘Got Blocked’ warning.
Then, I tried running it as Admin (again, like yesterday) and this time it worked.
Sadly, setting it to ‘Always run as administrator’ does not work, but when I each time right click and ‘Run as admin’, then it works.

For me that’s pretty much resolved, but I’ll leave it here - perhaps the product team would be interested in knowing that some users might have problems at start.

Regards,
Bartosz

I was just reading your post and wondering what might have caused it! Glad it’s installed now! Happy Obsidianing (or what ever you call it!) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, no idea what caused it… I had several attempts yesterday, including changing some registry values etc… and today it worked. Apparently a finite number of restarts and retries fixes any software problem:)

1 Like

Great :+1:

Just chiming in to see if others are having this issue.

I have admin rights on my computer, but apparently the packaging of the app violates my workplace’s group policy (something about writing to and running from the appdata folder - I’ll confess I don’t fully understand).

It’s strange because I can install other apps like Roam (I believe Roam and Obsidian are both electron apps, but maybe I’m missing some obvious difference between apps and how they install/run).

Any thoughts on what would need to change about Obsidian to make it more palatable.

Not sure if this is related to Windows: Allow Single-User Installation if a Portable App isn’t in the cards