The Official Readwise Obsidian Integration Has Launched 🚀

Unfortunately, my books are not synchronized. However, the highlights can be found in Readwise. Highlights from Article are synced normally.
I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the plugin several times.

Unfortunately, I don’t know what else I can do to make the synchronization work completely.

Probably a long shot to this. Looks like Kindle has certain books that contain highlight/notes limit/truncated. I was hoping Readwise would extract all, however that does not seem to be the case.

Would anyone know a workaround? I’m not trying to copy entire books, I just highlight and notate a lot more for certain books.

If not, Readwise is pretty worthless to me other than making it it slightly more automatic to what I was doing.

I have the Readwise official plugin working fine on Obsidian on my Macbook Air. Does it make sense to install the separate iOS Readwise plugin on my iPad? Or would it muddle the sync if I had two Obsidian vaults (which sync with one another) also trying to independently sync with Readwise?

I already get the Readwise highlights on my iPad without the iOS plugin, because as I said I sync vaults on my computer, iphone and ipad.

I guess my question amounts to this: Which is better?

Readwise → Obsidian (Mac) → Obsidian (iPad)

or

Obsidian Mac <=>Readwise<=> Obsidian iPad

Or maybe it makes no difference?

Thanks and apologies again if this is a dumb question.

David

Are you using Obsidian Sync to sync among devices? If this is the case, and you set it to sync everything, including the settings for plugins, this means that the data.json file and the Readwise Sync.md would also be synced. Then I am not sure if it matters that much on which device you sync Readwise data to.

1 Like

I am using Obsidian sync. Plugins didn’t sync, though, and I installed the iOS version of Readwise on the iPad. Then I removed it as I noticed that the Readwise folder was appearing already on the iPad (of course, because of sync).

Looks like I need to take a look at my sync settings.

Thanks for the clarification!

David

Yep, I was not syncing plugins. Fixed. Thanks again!

1 Like

Any plans to make this work with Kobo readers?

Hi there, Readwise defaults to exporting document tags as [[links]] but I’d rather they be #tags. I tried to achieve this by changing the export configurations but no joy. Does anyone know whether/how this would be possible?
Thank you!

1 Like

This morning I was delighted to discover Readwise Document Tags are exposed in the Obsidian Export Page metatdata section.

This means I now have a perfecta trifecta in Obsidian: document tags as yaml front matter tags, document tags as note links, and highlight tags as links in each highlight.

In the YAML front matter section:

{% if document_tags -%}
Tags: ['{% for tag in document_tags %} {{tag}} {% endfor %}']
{% endif %}

This displays as:

Tags: [’ achillea perennial ']

In the Page metadata section:

{% if document_tags -%}
- Document Links (tags): {% for tag in document_tags %} [[{{tag}}]] {% endfor %} 
{% endif %}

This displays as:

• Document Tags: [[achillea]] [[perennial]]

In the Highlight section:

{% if highlight_tags %}
    - Highlight Tags: {% for tag in highlight_tags %} [[{{tag}}]] {% endfor %} 
{% endif %}

This displays as:

• Highlight Tags: [[achillea]]

Believe I’ll fish around some more and see what other hidden treasures I can find.

Surely am curious what that Links (coming soon) functionality will be :slight_smile:

1 Like