The images in the attachment folder under ubuntu22.04LTS cannot be rendered

What I’m trying to do

Version: Obsedian 1.2.8 (snap)
System: Ubuntu 22.04LTS with gnome
Problem: Only by selecting the default storage path option for attachments as the warehouse root directory “” can images be successfully rendered. Choosing other options, such as “in the specified subfolder of the folder where the current file is located”, which I commonly use on Win, is not allowed
The internal link used is relative to the note file, and wiki link is disabled
Guess: May be it needs to give Obsidian access to the certain folders? Because these . md note files still cannot render corresponding path images in vscode

1 Like

If I understand correctly, images in your obsidian vault cannot be opened unless they are located in obsidian’s root folder?

If so, could it be that by mistake (or by purpose, maybe some time ago and you don’t remember…) you restricted access to a certain subfolder from ubuntu’s side?

How do your relative links look like in editing mode?

First when I open the .md document,it looks like this:
the white cube where the pic should be shown
If I clik the white cubic,the link is unwarped, which shows that everything is as usual
And finally I click somewhere else,the cube truns to a icon liks this:

Could you please give some more information:

• what is the path of the above file?
  • what is the path of the linked image?
  • paste a screenshot of the file in editing view
  • paste the file/folder permissions of the image itself and the folder where the image is located (either: right-click on the folder and the file, or, via terminal: ls -al /path/to/folder

Thanks for your kindness ! To make it more clear, I build a new collection with a new note to show how does the problem turn out.All the terms have been checked and it reprots that nothing seems to be wrong wrong

However,I think now I find the reason, if I choose the first folder name in Chinese,such as “你好”,then all the pics attached in the lower folder togethor with all notes in it will fail to show. Instead ,if the first folder is named in English, even if the lower folder is named in Chinese , all the things just run well. Here r the proves:

So now in conclusion, that’s maybe a compatibility problem for the linux version, at least in a snap source. Because this error never comes in an exe version when I use it in Windows 11. This is unfriendly to non native English speakers. Should we report it to a bug?Or there are still some methods may help solve it?

In obsidian’s Discord channel there is a Chinese channel - maybe discuss this issue there first, just to see if it is really a language-related problem. If it is, I would certainly see it as a bug.

Did you try if it works in the sandbox vault?

Sandbox is OK.Nothing went wrong.Thanks for ur remind, actually I have post this issue on Chinese community at first.However there 's none reply I have gotten until now.Seems that most of Chinese users prefer to work with Windows or Mac OS :rofl:

By the way, I also found the problem occured in another valut:

Here is the default valut obsidian use if u first open it and don’t improt any collection(valut).It can be seen that in Chinese Language settings under ubuntu, the upper folder is named in “文档” instead of “Documents”,which makes the problem turns out again. In this folder, even if I make everything in English , pictures won’t show correctly as fellow:

For now I guess for linux version ,at least when u setup the software from a snap sorce, pics won’t show if there are ANY Chinese words in the WHOLE storage path.I have no idea about will the flatpack or Appimage version have the same problem ,or in some other language environments will cause it. Now I think make sure the Vault name , the Vault upper path and fisrt level folder name contain no Chinese word will make pictures be shown as usual.

As you can’t reproduce the issue in the sandbox vault (even with a Chinese-named, newly created folder), I don’t think it is a bug or has anything to do with Ubuntu or the snap version.

Which plugins are you using? Maybe you could just share your debug info (ctrl + p → “Show debug information”).

hello, recently I got a similar problem as you guys discussed above. And I think I reproduce the issue in the sandbox vault. Would you mind having a look at my figures below?

As you can see, I try to make two same structures for the picture loading test. The only difference is the folder name uses Chinese. Once I move the pictures anywhere under the “你好” folder. The pictures would not be loaded, whereas there isn’t any problem under the “Hello” folder.

I haven’t tested the other languages. But I think there might be some problems related to multi-language.

1 Like

Just show it my friend.By the way now I have transfered every name of first folder into English to avoid this annoying problems. Here is my debug information :

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.2.8
Installer version: v1.2.8
Operating system: #42~22.04.1-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Tue Apr 18 17:40:00 UTC 2 5.19.0-41-generic
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: off
Plugins installed: 3
Plugins enabled: 3
1: Editing Toolbar v2.3.1
2: Advanced Tables v0.18.1
3: Kanban v1.5.3

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Community plugins: for bugs, please first try updating all your plugins to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community plugins.

Maybe this weekend I’ll get some more tries on it to figure out exactly what is going wrong

The software u have used, my frind, Mr.ScottZ, is that also a linux distribution? Because before the error occurs, what I have done is just copying the whole collection vault via a portable SSD from Windows11 to Ubuntu22.04.

Here’s a similay behaviour reported in sandbbox bro. Would you like to lend him a hand to finding out the reason :smiley:?

By the way, check if there are any Chinses word in the Path to the executable file or the whole Installation path of obsidian may do some help :face_with_monocle:

I also try other languages today in sandbox vault. And I try to find out what’s going wrong in development mode. Here is something that I found:

The picture path under the non-English folder may not be resolved correctly.

app://43225c7f404893db0731a6267bce1d4562dc/home/netease/snap/obsidian/8/.config/obsidian/Obsidian%20Sandbox/%E3%81%93%E3%82%93%E3%81%AB%E3%81%A1%E3%81%AF/test2_photo.png?1684726878323

And here are my debug info:

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.2.8
Installer version: v1.2.8
Operating system: #42~22.04.1-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Tue Apr 18 17:40:00 UTC 2 5.19.0-41-generic
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

It looks like a bug caused by multi-language within the Linux version. Would you mind have a look at this problem?

To summarize the information about this issue here:

1. There are some similar issues submitted in the forum. You can save time by just following this issue: Linux: Images and PDFs don't load if vault contains accented letters such as é (non english, non ascii, cjk, Umlauts) - #21 by Thibaultmol

I use Ubuntu 22.04LTS. Although I did change all the settings to en_US.UTF-8, it doesn’t work for me. And I am new to Ubuntu, so I change all the folder names to English to avoid this problem.

1. The issue is caused by the Electron framework bug. We have to wait for the Electron team to fix it first. And you may want to follow the status by this link: [Bug]: Linux: In french locale, crash on access of user-selected file with accent in filename · Issue #34812 · electron/electron · GitHub

Updated May 25, 2023

@hulf_wang Quick fix: use the deb package rather than the snap version. It works for me anyway.
reference: Linux: Images don't load if vault contains accented letters such as é (non english, non ascii, cjk) - #25 by Evelf

1 Like

That‘ true dude, u r a really genius lol

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.