Text randomy merged together in different files

So I use Obsidian (love it btw) and have recently switched to Linux Mint. In the past few days I’ve noticed that parts of some files get randomly selected and merged into other files. As far as I can tell, it only happens to files that are open in the editor.

So while I was writing out my content lists for D&D, I noticed that an entire section of text (about 40 lines) was grabbed and inserted into the other open document. It wasn’t an exact line-by-line, it grabbed it half way through the first line.

Right now, it’s grabbed the last line of the document on the right, and added it to the last heading on the left document (inserted at the last caret position maybe?). Now that I think about it it could be grabbing the caret to eof, but why is it adding it to the other open document?

I’ve just downloaded the most recent update so I’ll reinstall to test that out to make sure. EDIT: nevermind the version, I am on the most recent.

Steps to reproduce

The only plugin I’ve activated that isn’t on by default is the Backlinks plugin.

I switch themes up a bit but I’m on Sanctum Light right now, and that’s when it happened most recently.

Pretty much I have only been typing out stuff, creating numbered lists previously (but not this time) using the command palette, and switching windows around.

Expected result

Text to not be randomly copied to other open files. I don’t know/can’t trust that it isn’t just deleting stuff, as I don’t know when, what, or why it’s doing this.

Actual result

Text being randomly copied (I don’t think anything is actually being deleted, but I can’t say for certain).

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v0.14.6
Installer version: v0.13.31
Operating system: #121-Ubuntu SMP Thu Mar 24 16:04:27 UTC 2022 5.4.0-107-generic
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: light
Community theme: Sanctum
Snippets enabled: 0
Safe mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Custom theme: for cosmetic issues, please first try updating your theme to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the help vault or disable community theme and snippets.

Additional information

At first I thought this was caused by SyncThing running, but I can safely say that it isn’t the issue as it happened without SyncThing running. The issue has only arisen this week on Linux. It has not been an issue that I can tell before this week.

Download and reinstall obsidian. Post a screen recording of this happening in the sandbox vault.

Alright so it happened again, this time it grabbed random text I deleted from Discord and jammed it in.

Then I realised it happened when opening something by middle click, or control clicking a link, it would either grab something from another application, or what was already in the file.

Note that nothing from the clipboard is being inserted. Although I have a suspicion that it’s inserting something that’s been recently deleted. From anywhere.

I have a video recording, but don’t know where this sandbox vault is, so here’s a youtube link:

https://youtu.be/jYi8WPBub6o

middle click=paste on some linux distribution/config. You need to disable that.

Hm. I think you may be right. Yikes. I’ll have to try and use Control+LeftClick instead then! An option to not allow the middle-click short cuts in Obsidian in general would be good to prevent this.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.