Text input bug with Keyman SIL IPA keymap(works fine in other apps)

Steps to reproduce

On a macOS computer, install the Keyman app, and within that, download the IPA (SIL) keyboard and select that as the input method.

Then open a sandbox vault, paste in the following table (yes, I did try to reduce it but with very limited success):

| X |  |     |   |  |  |
| ------ | -------- | --- | ------ | ------ | ------- |
| m      | n        | ɲ   | ŋ      |        |         |
| pʰ p b | tʰ t d   | c ɟ | k kʰ g | q ɢ    | ʔ       |
| f v    |          | ç ʝ | x ɣ    | χ ʁ    | h       |
|        | s z ʃ  ʒ | ɕ ʑ |        |        |         |
|        | ɹ        | j   |        |        |         |
|        | r        |     |        | ʀ      |         |
|        | l        | ʎ   |        |        |         |

Then, type type the following sequence of characters on your keyboard: iu=.

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]

Yes

Expected result

When you press the =, you should see iu turn into .
This is what happens in other apps—I tried Firefox, Notion, and Notes.

Actual result

Instead, it becomes .

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
	Obsidian version: v1.4.16
	Installer version: v1.4.14
	Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 23.0.0: Fri Sep 15 14:41:43 PDT 2023; root:xnu-10002.1.13~1/RELEASE_ARM64_T6000 23.0.0
	Login status: not logged in
	Insider build toggle: off
	Live preview: on
	Legacy editor: off
	Base theme: dark
	Community theme: none
	Snippets enabled: 0
	Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
	none

Additional information

A similar thing occurs with ai=, which should be but instead becomes .

This is beyond what we support.

Open chrome and safari and go here https://codemirror.net/try/?c=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

If it doesn’t work there, open a Feature request here https://github.com/codemirror/dev/issues

If it works there but not in Obsidian, open a FR here https://forum.obsidian.md/c/feature-requests/8

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.