Tags from Metada Do Not Show Up in Windows 11 Reader View But Do Appear in iPhone Version

Once you’ve done the above, delete everything above this line.

Steps to reproduce

1. Open a new database in PC Obsidian

2. Toggle off “Show frontmatter” in Editor

3. Toggle off “Show inline title” in Appearance/Advanced

4. Create a new note named TEST with the following metadata (note - there is a space before each of the tag names that I typed below but they are not showing up in the bug report screen. See pics for how it should look):

---
    Title: TEST
    Date: 2023-01-03
    Tags:
     apples
     peaches
     pumpkin
     pie
    ---

5. Switch to reader/preview mode. Tags will not show up

6. Repeat steps 1-5 above in iPhone. Tags will show up.

Expected result

Tags should show up in the reader view in both the iPhone and PC versions of Obsidian
versions of the app, but the PC version is not working

Actual result

The PC version is blank - no tags

Environment

• Operating system: Windows 11
  • Debug info:

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.1.9
Installer version: v1.1.8
Operating system: Windows 10 Home 10.0.22621
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: none
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: Minimal v6.1.18
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: off
Plugins installed: 3
Plugins enabled: 3
1: Dataview v0.5.47
2: Minimal Theme Settings v6.1.1
3: Style Settings v0.4.12

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Custom theme and snippets: for cosmetic issues, please first try updating your theme and disabling your snippets. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community theme and snippets.
Community plugins: for bugs, please first try updating all your plugins to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community plugins.

Additional information

You need to mark the metadata block you posted as code in your forum post to preserve the indentation (Markdown collapses neighboring spaces and newlines in normal text). To do that, add a line of 3 backticks (```) before and after it. You’ll also need to put a blank line before and after those to mark it as separate from the blocks before and after it.

Because the code block is part of a list item, you’ll also need to indent the whole thing (the backticks and everything between them) and extra 4 spaces to indicate it is part of the preceding list item (you could indent them by an extra 1 tab instead, but you can’t type tabs in web forms).

1 Like
  1. Open the Command Palette.
  2. Type “debug”.
  3. Select “Show debug info”.
  4. In the window that appears, select “Copy to clipboard”.
  5. Paste into your post.
1 Like

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.1.9
Installer version: v1.1.8
Operating system: Windows 10 Home 10.0.22621
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: none
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: Minimal v6.1.18
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: off
Plugins installed: 3
Plugins enabled: 3
1: Dataview v0.5.47
2: Minimal Theme Settings v6.1.1
3: Style Settings v0.4.12

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Custom theme and snippets: for cosmetic issues, please first try updating your theme and disabling your snippets. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community theme and snippets.
Community plugins: for bugs, please first try updating all your plugins to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community plugins.

Is this the same for showing in Reddit?

If you’re looking for help on Reddit and someone or the rules requests your debug info, then yes.

1 Like

Also, how do I edit my post to fix this issue?

Use the pencil icon at the bottom of your post (it might be hidden behind three dots). If you don’t have a pencil icon you might me too new to the forum to have edit permissions. In that case, I can edit it for you if you like.

1. I don’t have a pencil. It would be great if you could fix that for me. Thank you!
  2. How do I know if my bug report gets evaluated?

I added the code block and your debug info to the post. The bug report template has a comment above “- Debug info:” that explains it, so you can use that as a reminder if you need to post any other bugs.

You’ll know the bug has been evaluated when the developers (or more likely their representative WhiteNoise) comment on the thread, or when someone else comments to explain why it’s not a bug.

Thank you for your help!

Hi, I guess I need your help again - this bug report was never addressed and the tags still don’t show up in the reading view on the Windows app.

I have the same problem in the OS system.

tags: AA BB

Cannot be displayed in preview mode.

If you turn it off, it is normal for YAML section to not show up. So the PC is correct.

This happens because the mobile version is running an older version and will be fixed once the major mobile 1.4.2 version is released.

This doesn’t make sense to me. The point for me of having the YAML tags is that I can query on them in Datamart, but I don’t want to lose the functionality of being able to click on tag links and find everything related on the fly. So will I have to choose between YAML tags and bubble tags (or however others format it) in the reader view?

you can, don’t turn Show frontmatter off.

But then I have to see all the other front matter. The way it currently is in mobile is that you don’t have to see any of the unactionable front matter, just the things (tags) you can use in the reader view.

To me it seems like you’re taking away a feature. And it’s a feature that I really value.
Edit: to clarify – if I have YAML in reader on the phone, the tags (if it’s the same as in Windows app) are separated from my notes because they will be at the top of YAML and I’ll have a full screen of YAML between tags and notes. It’s not as bad in Windows, but I would prefer if tags were next to the notes.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.