Tag suggestions window not showing when writing tag on left of hash symbol

Steps to reproduce

1. Insert a new # symbol in a note, or locate an existing # symbol.
  2. Move your cursor to the left of this # symbol.
  3. Add a # and attempt to start adding an existing tag from your vault.

Expected result

The tag suggestions window pops up, where you can select the tag.

Actual result

No tag suggestions window pops up.

Environment

• Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 21H2
  • Debug info:
SYSTEM INFO:
	Obsidian version: v0.13.14
	Installer version: v0.13.14
	Login status: not logged in
	Insider build toggle: off
	Live preview: on
	Legacy editor: off
	Base theme: light
	Community theme: Yin and Yang
	Snippets enabled: 4
	Safe mode: off
	Plugins installed: 16
	Plugins enabled: 10
		1: Templater
		2: Format Hotkeys
		3: Smart Random Note
		4: System Dark Mode
		5: Tag Wrangler
		6: Note Refactor
		7: Find unlinked files and unresolved links
		8: Obsidian Charts
		9: Show Current File Path
		10: Vault Statistics

RECOMMENDATIONS:
	Custom theme: for cosmetic issues, please try to make the issue happen in the help vault or disable community theme and snippets.
	Community plugins: for bugs, please try to make the issue happen in the help vault or disable community plugins.

Additional information

Tags seem to show the auto-suggester alright when you type to the left of other characters, such as ABCabc123, though this hasn’t been fully tested.

I feel like this worked in older Obsidian versions, though not entirely sure.

This is not a bug.

What counts as a bug and what counts as a suggestion as I feel like I’ve made this mistake before?

This is not bug because ## has a specific meaning in markdown (header 2) so we should not trigger the tag suggestion.

I see what you mean, I imagine that would be frustrating if you’re trying to change a header 1 into a header 2.

So the suggestion in this case would be to trigger the tag suggestion box when typing characters after the first “#” symbol?

Either that, or determine whether the hash symbol to the right belongs to a header or another tag and use that to determine whether to show the tag suggestion box.

You can open a FR for this. However, this is unlikely to be implemented because in obsidian a tag is #tag. What you doing with #tag# is officially unsupported.

1 Like

Even if it’s unsupported and wouldn’t show the link to the actual tag, it could still add the tag text and then you can add the delimiter of your choice afterwards (space, comma, etc.) for the tag to actually function as a tag.

I have a row of tags at the top of my notes and often I’m adding a tag at the beginning of the line, not getting the tag auto-suggestions. This was my attempt to resolve that.