Tabs and recent history disappeared

When opening obsidian this morning all my tabs and recent notes is gone. I only had a single tab and it’s not opening any file, and when I press ctrl + O nothing shows up (I can search just fine but the “recent notes” seems to be gone, so it’s showing nothing).

I checked workspace.json. My data wasn’t there, it was already “clean.” There’s also a “workspace” file (without the json extension) for some reason, it’s from 2022 so that’s too old.

I’m not that concerned with restoring my history (although that would be nice), but I do want to know what happened. I can think of nothing I did that was out of the ordinary. I don’t use any syncing service either, I only use Obsidian locally.

Hard to say from here although I’ve had my fair share of surprises in the past. Force-closing Obsidian still cannot have caused that…

If you don’t see the point of syncing it’s still prudent to keep backups. There are tutorials on this forum to set up a GitHub backup. With GitHub Desktop on your computer running while you use Obsidian, you can see modified files and discard changes to revert. Looks like you already know what to look out for.
One needs to quit Obsidian first when config files are restored.

Yeah, I figured that with so little information it would be hard to figure out what did happen. But I really can’t think of anything out of the ordinary here, it’s just this one time I opened Obsidian my tabs and history wasn’t there.

It still bugs me that I don’t know the cause. Obsidian is usually so stable, I haven’t experienced any buggy behavior before. Then suddenly I just lost my workspace? I suppose I probably just have to live with not knowing, hope it’s just a one-off.

I will setup a backup system soon. I don’t like the idea of storing my notes in the cloud, have anybody tried using git with an external drive (instead of github) as remote? I don’t think it should be too hard, but it would be nice if somebody has done it before.

You can use private repos on GH. And…well, I don’t want to go there…the topic of how safe anything is and how those we should trust the most will use or abuse us…

Never tried or heard of git remote being used on external drive. But there’s also svn.

You sound capable; you’ll figure it out.

Not to doubt you, but just to double check. Are you 100% sure you aren’t using a cloud tool? There are some folders in MacOS and Windows that are synced by default.

If you want to explore what happened, I suggest pasting your “Show Debug Info”, and your full vault path. (Hide your username or sensitive info if needed.)

Yes git can be used on a local or external filesystem, or your own server. Make sure you aren’t conflating git and Github. Github doesn’t own or control git. You also don’t need to clone or push anything. I use git just as a local version control for my vault. I backup the entire filesystem my vault and repo are in.

(I do use Github for coding and client work. But I would never store my notes there, even privately.)

Actually on 1.5.8 fresh install, Obsidian hang twice on workspace not being loaded. Closed the app, renamed workspace.json (I used an older bak file of it) and then it started up. Then this thread came to mind right when you put your thoughts in.

1 Like

Windows and Mac both have built-in systems for local backups, so that’s an easy way to get that setup. https://web.archive.org/web/20200101015933/http://www.worldbackupday.com/en/ On Linux, of course, the situation varies.

Not to doubt you, but just to double check. Are you 100% sure you aren’t using a cloud tool? There are some folders in MacOS and Windows that are synced by default.

No, I don’t use any.

If you want to explore what happened, I suggest pasting your “Show Debug Info”, and your full vault path. (Hide your username or sensitive info if needed.)

My Vault is located at C:\Program Data\Obsidian (Program Data is a folder I created; I store most software data here).

Here’s the debug info.

SYSTEM INFO:
	Obsidian version: v1.5.8
	Installer version: v1.4.13
	Operating system: Windows 10 Home Single Language 10.0.19045
	Login status: not logged in
	Insider build toggle: off
	Live preview: on
	Base theme: dark
	Community theme: none
	Snippets enabled: 0
	Restricted mode: off
	Plugins installed: 5
	Plugins enabled: 5
		1: Spaced Repetition v1.9.4
		2: Excalidraw v1.8.16
		3: Dataview v0.5.53
		4: Obsidian Math+ v0.5.1
		5: ExcaliBrain v0.1.11

RECOMMENDATIONS:
	Community plugins: for bugs, please first try updating all your plugins to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community plugins.

Yes git can be used on a local or external filesystem, or your own server. Make sure you aren’t conflating git and Github. Github doesn’t own or control git. You also don’t need to clone or push anything. I use git just as a local version control for my vault. I backup the entire filesystem my vault and repo are in.

Yeah, I know how to use git. Well, the basics anyway.
I can just use git locally, and then copy my vault periodically to external hard drive as a backup. I just thought that treating the drive as remote and pushing there would be a nicer way to do it.

Actually on 1.5.8 fresh install, Obsidian hang twice on workspace not being loaded. Closed the app, renamed workspace.json (I used an older bak file of it) and then it started up. Then this thread came to mind right when you put your thoughts in.

So there’s an issue with workspace on 1.5.8? Is there a thread about it? Tbh, I didn’t think to check version when this happened. I opened Obsidian this morning and got the changelog tab, so I think the update 1.5.8 only just happened? I can’t be sure though.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.