Tables and abbreviated Wikilinks don't work together

Steps to reproduce

Type this into Obsidian:

| Head 1 | Head 2 |
| ------ | ------ |
|body 1  | [[Start Here|here1]]  |
|body 2  | here2  |

Expected result

I expect to get a table, where there is an abbreviated internal Link in cell 2,2.

Actual result

The | from the internal link is processed as table code for a new column.
The internal Link is not displayed and the table is broken.

Environment

• Operating system: Ubuntu 22.04

• Debug info:
    SYSTEM INFO:
    Obsidian version: v0.16.3
    Installer version: v0.15.9
    Operating system: #54-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug 26 13:26:29 UTC 2022 5.15.0-48-generic
    Login status: logged in
    Catalyst license: insider
    Insider build toggle: on
    Live preview: on
    Legacy editor: off
    Base theme: dark
    Community theme: none
    Snippets enabled: 0
    Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Additional information

1 Like

You have to escape the bar | inside the wikilink otherwise the current parser treats is as the cell boundary in the table markup:

|body 1  | [[Start Here\|here1]]  |
1 Like

Thanks, that works but feels more like a workaround. Since most of my links are created using the backlink plugin, I have to check all the created links for their position in tables and adjust manually.
There exists a problem. If I automatically create a backlink it gives me the option to create a backlink within that backlink. This behavior vanishes once I insert the \| in the backlink.

Maybe the backlink plugin could detect that the created link is situated within a table and insert the | automatically?

1 Like

That will have to be for a discussion with the plugin author and how «smart» they want to make the plugin …

As it is, there will always be issues of some sort – neither tables nor wikilinks are a part of Markdown so Obsidian’s parser has to make a best guess about which characters get priority in which order