Table with [ character in a cell renders differently in Reading and Live Preview

Steps to reproduce

Create a note with this table:

| col1  | col2 |
| ----- | ---- |
| cell1 | [    | 
| cell2 | ]    |

Expected result

Table should parse and render identically in Live Preview and Reading modes.

Actual result

Table renders differently in different modes.

Reading

Live Preview

Source

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
	Obsidian version: v0.14.3
	Installer version: v0.14.2
	Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 20.6.0: Tue Feb 22 21:10:41 PST 2022; root:xnu-7195.141.26~1/RELEASE_X86_64 20.6.0
	Login status: logged in
	Catalyst license: vip
	Insider build toggle: on
	Live preview: on
	Legacy editor: off
	Base theme: dark
	Community theme: none
	Snippets enabled: 0
	Safe mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
	none

Additional information

Current workaround is to escape the [ character. The following renders the same in Live Preview and Reading Mode.

| col1  | col2 |
| ----- | ---- |
| cell1 | \[   | 
| cell2 | ]    |

:tophat:-tip to @Valery_Kondakoff for report.

1 Like

from @Licat in #insider-desktop discord:

It’s definitely a bug but I checked the code and it’s going to be fairly difficult to fix. It’s a low priority bug so let’s have it tracked and we’ll get back to it later (though probably will have to be a few months). Meanwhile using the escape character is a reasonable workaround.

Not sure if this is related, but if I display task lists consecutively - e.g. where I’ve got tasks with different priorities, the first list displays fine, but on any lists below it, if the task contains a link I get some odd formatting with a random "> in it, and some of the text repeated:

This is in reading view; in live preview it looks fine. My guess is that something isn’t closing properly within the html of the table above. Posting here because it only happens when the task has a link in it.

Could you create a separate issue? I don’t see how that’s related.
When you create a separate issue, providing clear reproduction steps, minimal inputs, and screen grabs of the behavior would help out the dev team vet things. For example, your screen grab shows some odd things but without the input markdown, it’s impossible for anyone to troubleshoot. Thanks.

Will do.

1 Like