Table: Horizontal scrollbar in note edit mode is not usable

It happens with any table that’s wide enough to be horizontally scrollable. When viewing the preview, everything is fine, only when viewing the markdown source in edit mode, it’s not possible to move the scrollbar.

I tested it with this table (it’s the only thing in the file):

| Col 1 | Col 2 | Col 3 |
|------|-------|------|
| This table is very large. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. | Cell 1 | Cell2 |
1 Like

Thanks, I can reproduce this.

Steps to reproduce

When I insert a long URL into a table cell, in editor pane, it creates a rather long table cell, and a horizontal scroll bar appears at the bottom of the editor, but it can not be dragged by mouse. However, touchpad works.

Expected result

Actual result

Environment

• Operating system:
  • Obsidian version:

Additional information

Probably the same as I posted here: Word wrap for tables in edit mode

2 Likes

While tables are properly displayed in preview mode a word wrap functionality for editing is missing.

Adding a hard line break obviously breaks the markdown table convention and the content is not displayed in a table anymore.

Without word wrap functionality content in edit mode extends way beyond the visible window for bigger table texts.

4 Likes

It looks like the same as posted here: Cells don't wrap while editing markdown tables

Thanks

@lucasrla the two bugs are different. Post a screenshot of your problem

Are they? Sorry, I don’t really get their differences.

Anyway, here are screenshots of the issue I am experiencing:

Thanks

Ok, I see the issue. You have this bug in the editor.

In preview mode they are wrapped indeed (2nd screenshot), but in edit mode they are not (1st one).

Maybe this behavior is intentional as one can scroll horizontally in edit mode, but that seems clumsy and unexpected (at least to me).

Oh, great, it seems you now see the issue.

Steps to reproduce

1. Create a Markdown table with a very long column
  2. Use the macOS standard keyboard shortcut to navigate with cursor to the end of line (i.e., CMD + ->)

Expected result

The cursor should go to the end of line.

Actual result

The cursor goes to a position that is not the end of line.

Environment

• Operating system: macOS 10.15.5
  • Obsidian version: 0.7.6

Additional information

Video above shows that I am able navigate with CMD+arrows with no problems within short (wrapped) lines, and that navigation fails on a table with a very long line (that is not wrapped).

This bug is related to:

Will be fixed in 0.8.1

1 Like

I now this is bug graveyard, but I’m using 0.8.15 and I’m having this bug. Exactly like described above. I didn’t notice if it was fixed in 0.8.1, tbh.

same problem here since 0.8.15

@nica @dregar I can’t reproduce this problem. Please open a new bug report where you attach the code of the table that creates the problem and a screenshot showing the bug.

Thanks

maybe I’ve found the cause of the problem

If I put pipes at the begining & end of each line, like this
| Content from cell 1 | Content from cell 2 |
the text in the cell won’t wrap

When I delete them, strictly follow the instruction of Help document, the problem is solved!

3 Likes

Thanks @nica - putting a leading | helped wrap the table text! v0.12.3 here!

Wonder why the default behavior exists though!