Syncing the text between two notes

Is there a way to sync a paragraph between two notes? For example, both note A and B have the same paragraph. If I edit it in note A, the change will be reflected in note B, and vice versa. The [[filename#^abcd]] syntax is not what I’m looking for.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t that be nice!

The only thing I could think of is that I imagine a plugin exists (or could reasonably easily be created) that lets a single note appear to exist as two separate notes. It wouldn’t meet your request for the syncing of just a paragraph.

Perhaps once you started composing separate unique paragraphs it would have to be done in some sort of transitory interstitial dialog akin to the hover plugin. And this would perhaps keep the other unedited note as a deep copy of the current state of the edited note but hide the differences. Honestly, I obviously don’t have the know-how to even properly explain what I am getting at, but the basic premise to make it doable would be the occasional flushing of the hidden bits with the matching content already identified and quickly instanced in both. Like, the idea would be to save the memory until a region was clicked into and actually edited the first time.

I probably should just delete this post because it may do more harm than good. With your skills, f you are asking this question, I doubt my amateur riffs are going to trigger any sparks. But, it’s always worth trying. I would surely love the feature very very much. This request I made a while back is in a similar ballpark: Append independent quasi-editable embeds without propagation to source

Good luck! Thanks for making this post!

I guess this can be done by having a database to keep track the syncing contents, and then do the update automatcally

You can.

1 Like

I specifically said that the [[filename#^abcd]] syntax is not what I’m looking for, since it can’t edit both way

What youre describing is called transclusion (one thing, multiple places, any changes reflecting anywhere it appears). Obsidian embeds are transclusions, just missing the editing

I know of 2 plugins that fit the bill:

Hover Editor: obsidian-hover-editor
Amazing plugin i cant live without now, it turns the preview on hover from obsidian editable(and popupable windows that can be pined as a bonus). You just need to have preview on hover enabled, and the plugin makes it editable
Thing is it also shows the preview when hovering over block embeds.
It literally shows the source note focused on the embeded block as a popup right next to embed, just click and type. And it will show on both the source and the embed
A very doable workaround in case you dont want to install make.md(bellow) just for this one feature

Make.mdMake-md/makemd (github.com)
Make.md plugin does that- simply by allowing to edit embeds right in the editor, where theyre embeded.

The github is lacking documentation/explanations, but you can find explanations in a discord server the author made just for the plugin. I havent taken make.md for a spin yet, but just checked the discord and it seens to fit your bill, the feature is called ‘flow editor’

If i understood correctly you just make a block embed [[note^blockId]]- it will then show a button on hover, “∞” - clicking on it will allow editing, and all changes made are being done to the source file as well.
Seems like true transclusion (i havent tested yet)

Only caveat is the feature comes in a package, a whole bunch of stuff- all seem amazing to me, and i believe one could just ignore the other features. If not interested or not confortable with them then the hover editor will do.

1 Like