Syncing issues with iCloud Drive on iPad and Windows laptop

What I’m trying to do

I am a student who utilizes both an iPad and a computer for my university work. I generally make notes on my iPad during lectures and tutorials and edit them on my computer when I get home.

I have been trying various cloud storage options to sync my Obsidian Vault so that I can edit my notes on both my iPad and my Windows computer. I have tried Google Drive and OneDrive but they don’t really work well on the iPad, and the remaining option I have is iCloud.

It is fine when make my notes on the iPad but when it comes to my computer things get weird. When I edit my notes on my computer, sometimes what I type just disappears and the notes revert to its status some time ago.

The next day I open Obsidian on my laptop the notes just duplicated itself for 38 times and now I have 39 same files in my vault.

This situation has occured quite a lot of times, and each time notes just duplicate themselves and/or deletes what I have written. It is rather annoying when I do have quite an amount of notes and each time when I try to review them something just goes missing or there are tons of random same notes.

Things I have tried

I have googled for similar situations but none of them seem to match with what is happening in my case. What I tried is to delete the whole vault from iCloud and create a new one, but the issue persists.

I then have tested creating a new note on my iPad and edit it on my computer, and the result is the file reverting back and duplicating itself. I have also tried creating a new note on my computer and editing it on the iPad, but edited materials doesn’t show up on the computer for some time. The next thing I tested is creating a new note on my iPad and editing it on the iPad, then I am able to see the notes on my computer; but when it comes to creating a note on the computer and editing it on the computer the notes just revert again and duplicates itself the another day, and on the iPad I see tons of the same notes.

Is it an issue with iCloud syncing poorly on Windows and iOS? If it is I believe my only resort is to use Obsidian Sync

From the Discord :turtle: bot, but the official stance →

iCloud on Windows is known to cause file duplication and corruption issues. We highly suggest avoiding using this combination.

Courtesy of @Synchronicity

These are the methods currently believed to work for syncing between Windows and iOS devices:

• Obsidian Sync

• Self-hosted LiveSync plugin

• Remotely Save plugin and various cloud services, including Amazon S3 or S3-compatible, Dropbox, OneDrive for personal, and Webdav

• Git with the Working Copy or a-Shell iOS app

Big thread on the different options →

Obsidian Sync has an education discount, so that’s also something to consider →

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.