Synchronizing cursor location between Edit and Preview modes

Use case or problem

The cursor location should be synchronized when switching between edit and preview mode. It can sometimes take a while, when switching to edit mode, to figure out where the raw content is that I was just looking at in preview mode.

Currently when switching modes from Preview to Edit, the cursor location isn’t even on the same page of content that was previously displayed. With long, complex documents, it can be very hard to find the proper source location to edit.

Proposed solution

Some possible solutions:

1. highlight some content in preview mode and then when switching into edit mode, have the cursor appear there.
  2. have whatever is at the top of the preview be at the top of the edit screen when switching modes.
  3. adding something to the right-click context menu that said something like “Go to this line in editor mode” (suggested by @Murf on Discord).

Current workaround (optional)

Scroll around for 30 seconds trying to find the proper place to edit.

Related feature requests (optional)

None found.

6 Likes

Drives me crazy that I can’t highlight a line I want to edit from preview mode and switch to edit mode and not have the cursor somewhere in that vicinity. Just doesn’t make UI sense. But I guess that’s what feature requests are for :slight_smile:

Hi, I was looking at a group of similar FRs. This one is a bit confusing.
In preview there’s no cursor, so at the moment we try to

have whatever is at the top of the preview be at the top of the edit screen when switching modes.
and
if there was cursor position previously in edit, have the cursor there (not the page page there, the cursor there).

I am gonna close this FR.
This is better one for the problem you are feeling, post here