Sync overwrites / reverts current editing in Mac OS

In Mac OS Version v.0.11.13 I’ve seen this behavior. I was editing a note, saw Obsidian refresh out of the corner of my eye, and then my changes were gone. I’m guessing it was Sync, but then not sure.

Steps to reproduce

This will be hard…

1. Edit a note and leave it open.
  2. Maybe sync does something?
  3. Obsidian refreshes
  4. Edits are reverted

Expected result

1. My edits to be saved

Actual result

1. Edits are lost

Environment

• Operating system: Mac OS Mojave
  • Obsidian version: 0.11.13

Additional information

I was editing a note titled “PM Forum” when this happened. Sync log attached.
Obsidian sync log.txt.zip (5.6 KB)

Any chance you have a second sync solution that you’re using which may be racing against Obsidian Sync to sync your files? Or perhaps something setup that does something to the file on every edit?

Also according to your log, there’s a file that’s constantly failing to sync “personal/bike/Bike Equipment.md”. I would suggest deleting the file (moving it out of the vault), let it finish syncing, and moving it back.

Do you see the errors when you open the sync log?

A similar issue happens with me also. I believe it may be due to having two Obsidian instances open and there some confusion about which version is the correct “latest” version.

An example:

I was editing a note on my Linux version of Obsidian for a while and it was successfully generating note versions (visible in version history) and being synced to the server.

I opened my mac laptop and I believe that pushed the much earlier (nearly empty) version of the note to the server. The nearly empty version then overwrote my Linux version and appeared to “delete” all the changes I had made on my Linux desktop. I “ctrl-z” to recover all the removed text.

The version history shows Linux version, empty Mac version, Linux version.

This sync behavior could result in lost work unless it is noticed by the user.

I am not sure what you describe can happen. It would be great if you had some sync logs from both sides to share.

I only have the sync logs from the Linux side.

In the version history, the nearly empty note is 11:09am. There are multiple version at 11:08am with the content, then at 11:10am with the restored content

2021-04-19 11:07 - Uploading file Academic/Cognitive Science/Developmental Psychology/Papers/Exploratory Behavior in the Development of Perceiving, Acting, and the Acquiring of Knowledge.md
2021-04-19 11:07 - Upload complete Academic/Cognitive Science/Developmental Psychology/Papers/Exploratory Behavior in the Development of Perceiving, Acting, and the Acquiring of Knowledge.md
2021-04-19 11:07 - Server pushed Academic/Cognitive Science/Developmental Psychology/Papers/Exploratory Behavior in the Development of Perceiving, Acting, and the Acquiring of Knowledge.md
2021-04-19 11:07 - Fully synced
2021-04-19 11:07 - Uploading file Academic/Cognitive Science/Developmental Psychology/Papers/Exploratory Behavior in the Development of Perceiving, Acting, and the Acquiring of Knowledge.md
2021-04-19 11:07 - Upload complete Academic/Cognitive Science/Developmental Psychology/Papers/Exploratory Behavior in the Development of Perceiving, Acting, and the Acquiring of Knowledge.md
2021-04-19 11:07 - Server pushed Academic/Cognitive Science/Developmental Psychology/Papers/Exploratory Behavior in the Development of Perceiving, Acting, and the Acquiring of Knowledge.md
2021-04-19 11:07 - Fully synced
2021-04-19 11:08 - Uploading file Academic/Cognitive Science/Developmental Psychology/Papers/Exploratory Behavior in the Development of Perceiving, Acting, and the Acquiring of Knowledge.md
2021-04-19 11:08 - Server pushed Academic/Cognitive Science/Developmental Psychology/Papers/Exploratory Behavior in the Development of Perceiving, Acting, and the Acquiring of Knowledge.md
2021-04-19 11:08 - Upload complete Academic/Cognitive Science/Developmental Psychology/Papers/Exploratory Behavior in the Development of Perceiving, Acting, and the Acquiring of Knowledge.md
2021-04-19 11:08 - Fully synced
2021-04-19 11:08 - Uploading file Academic/Cognitive Science/Developmental Psychology/Papers/Exploratory Behavior in the Development of Perceiving, Acting, and the Acquiring of Knowledge.md
2021-04-19 11:08 - Upload complete Academic/Cognitive Science/Developmental Psychology/Papers/Exploratory Behavior in the Development of Perceiving, Acting, and the Acquiring of Knowledge.md
2021-04-19 11:08 - Server pushed Academic/Cognitive Science/Developmental Psychology/Papers/Exploratory Behavior in the Development of Perceiving, Acting, and the Acquiring of Knowledge.md
2021-04-19 11:08 - Rejected server change Academic/Cognitive Science/Developmental Psychology/Papers/Exploratory Behavior in the Development of Perceiving, Acting, and the Acquiring of Knowledge.md
2021-04-19 11:09 - Server pushed Academic/Cognitive Science/Developmental Psychology/Papers/Exploratory Behavior in the Development of Perceiving, Acting, and the Acquiring of Knowledge.md
2021-04-19 11:09 - Downloading file Academic/Cognitive Science/Developmental Psychology/Papers/Exploratory Behavior in the Development of Perceiving, Acting, and the Acquiring of Knowledge.md
2021-04-19 11:09 - Downloading complete Academic/Cognitive Science/Developmental Psychology/Papers/Exploratory Behavior in the Development of Perceiving, Acting, and the Acquiring of Knowledge.md
2021-04-19 11:09 - Accepted Academic/Cognitive Science/Developmental Psychology/Papers/Exploratory Behavior in the Development of Perceiving, Acting, and the Acquiring of Knowledge.md
2021-04-19 11:09 - Fully synced
2021-04-19 11:10 - Uploading file Academic/Cognitive Science/Developmental Psychology/Papers/Exploratory Behavior in the Development of Perceiving, Acting, and the Acquiring of Knowledge.md
2021-04-19 11:10 - Upload complete Academic/Cognitive Science/Developmental Psychology/Papers/Exploratory Behavior in the Development of Perceiving, Acting, and the Acquiring of Knowledge.md
2021-04-19 11:10 - Server pushed Academic/Cognitive Science/Developmental Psychology/Papers/Exploratory Behavior in the Development of Perceiving, Acting, and the Acquiring of Knowledge.md
2021-04-19 11:10 - Fully synced

What versions of Obsidian are you using on both your Linux and Mac?

Sorry! Should have included above, I have 0.11.13 on Linux and was on 0.11.03 for Mac. I updated the Mac so will keep an eye and see if the issue comes up again and will try to capture sync logs on both sides.

Thanks. I believe we’ve fixed several sync issues since 0.11.3 so that may have helped.