Sync before Open daily note on startup

Use case or problem

This seems rather like a bug, than a feature request. There is a race condition mentioned in this thread which indicates Daily Notes are created prior to Sync, which may be the cause of this issue.

I use Obsidian with Sync on multiple devices. I have Settings → Daily notes → Open daily note on startup set to True.

If I have an existing Daily Note created from a Template in my synced vault, and open this vault on a new device with that same template, the template gets reinserted into my Daily Note, in other words, making it appear twice. This duplicated daily note is then synced!

As the Bug thread was closed, I am adding this as a Feature Request.

Proposed solution

Have Obsidian sync prior to creating Daily Note for Open daily note on startup

Current workaround (optional)

The only workaround I know of, is go to Settings-> Daily notes → Open daily note on startup, and turn this off. But I always want to start in Daily, I just don’t want the existing template duplicated!

Related feature requests (optional)

11 Likes

syncing before opening obsidian will delay obsidian startup time to unacceptable levels.

I suggested to sync before creating daily note, not sync before opening obsidian.

Are you a developer at Obsidian?

3 Likes

I came here to post the same thing! Current workflow:

• start day on PC. Open Obsidian
  • daily note opens with template, fill out.
  • close PC.
  • start work day on mac. Open Obsidian
  • daily note runs before sync is done causing the template to be duplicated in the daily note

I agree, it would be nice if we could fix this!

@WhiteNoise any chance that we can help with this?

Hello, I have the same problem, my daily note are over right on mobile and sync. I have to go in file history to restore it.

Had extactly the same problem, with automatic creation of daily notes and two computers i would often get a bad merge on the second computer as it was just creating an empty note, applying it’s template, and receiving the one created on the first computer, merging both into a frankennote. Probably plugins and startup stuff should have the time to all execute their opening lifecycle and return a ready before syncing can begin.

Agree that this is really annoying. I use sync mostly to sync my schedule down to my phone, as for everything else I am more content using GH; but if this cannot be resolved it becomes almost pointless for me.
The middle ground could be to flag

• certain folders
    • (just set up a modal for it the same way we currently exclude folders)
  • or even just files
    • pertaining to a valid rule (the more custom way would be more tech-friendly and customisable, but also harder for not-so-tech-savvy people) using simple prebuild If()-conditions or regex’s (only care about filenames and folderpaths, otherwhise it would probably add too much overhead scanning however many files)

to be synced before plugin executions happen. This way we could limit it to the opening note (which for many is the DN), thus preserving bootup speed and fixing this issue. All other files can then sync in background the same way it currently happens.

I agree with the suggestion of having a feature that prevents duplicated daily notes from appearing every time I open Obsidian on my iPhone. It’s become a bit tedious having to remove the duplicates every morning, and it would be great if there were other solutions besides forcing a complete sync. Perhaps syncing only the files related to the Daily Note core plugin could be a viable option.

The “daily note opened on startup contains a duplicate of template” problem was solved months ago with an ad hoc change to sync.

@purplebrackets if you get “duplicate effect” (merge conflict) it means that you first created and edited a note on one device, then offline and in a second time created and edited for a prolonged period of time the same note on another device.
In that case, you should get the merge conflict and you are the one in charge of fixing it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.