Symlinks are unsupported. Do not show them if created while Obs is running

Steps to reproduce

1. For this example, the vault is ~/wiki
  2. Create a symlink in for the Attachments directory:
    ln -s ~/Pictures ~/wiki/Attachments
  3. In the File Explorer, try to find the Attachments directory to set as the “attachment” folder

Expected result

• The File Explorer in Obsidian should show the Attachments directory

Actual result

• The Attachments directory is not recognized by Obsidian and does not show up in the File Explorer

Environment

• Operating system: macOS Catalina
  • Obsidian version: v0.6.2
  • Using custom CSS: Dracula

Additional information

N/A

3 Likes

Steps to reproduce

While obsidian is running, symlink a directory external to the vault. You can access files in it from obsidian. Now restart Obsidian. The symlink is no longer recognized.

Expected result

Symlinks should have the same treatment whether they were created while obsidian is running or before. If symlinks are followed properly it should be possible to create new files in the symlinked dir. But this does not work either.

Actual result

Environment

• Operating system: MacOS Mojave
  • Obsidian version: 0.6.7
  • Using custom CSS: shouldn’t matter

Additional information

1 Like

At the moment, we don’t have any specific threatment/support for symlinks.
So, I suggest you open a feature request asking for proper support of symlinks.

The inconsistent treatment is a bug. Obsidian should either completely ignore symlinks or handle them right at all times. Ideally the latter!

1 Like

What I am saying is that we haven’t put in place anything to handle or not handle symlinks. It’s also an OS dependant problem.

I understand the usefulness of symlinks and I think it is an important feature to work on.

1 Like

Steps to reproduce

cd notebook
mkdir ../tmp
cp ~/test.pdf ../tmp/
mkdir files
cd files
ln -s ../../tmp/test.pdf t.pdf

Expected result

Shows files/t.pdf.

Actual result

Works on macOS for the 1st time when you create the link. But shows nothing on the next launch. Also not working after synced to Ubuntu 20.04.

Environment

• Operating system: Linux
  • Obsidian version:0.6.7
  • Using custom CSS:No

Additional information

1 Like

I’m on osx here, I tried using symlinks and at first it worked. But now that I check again it’s gone in the file explorer. Having support for symlinks would be great and very helpful!

(obsidian 0.7.3)

2 Likes

Just bumping this! It’d be tremendously helpful for my workflow and solve this problem: Separating work and personal

2 Likes

Symlinks will not be implemented in the short-term.
There are significant technical challenges implementing a file watcher when symlinks are involved.

This bug report is about consistency, i.e. at moment we do not support symlinks, hence they should not appear if created while Obs running (minor bug).

If you want symlinks in the future, open a feature request.

1 Like

I believe there is already a feature request for this -> Show/edit symbolic links [symlinks, folder links]

That’s a pity to hear that there are some big challenges implementing symlinks in the short-term.

EDIT: folder symlinks are now supported

4 Likes