Support drag + drop text with Ctrl to duplicate/copy it

Use case or problem

Quickly duplicate words and sentences. (Within a single note at least)

Proposed solution

Select some text and drag + drop to the destination with the Ctrl key pressed.

Thanks!

5 Likes

Nice idea! I am a big fan of modifier key click combinations. They seem easier to remember and often more quickly become part of my everyday usage in other software.

As a related side note, one cool trick to duplicate a line is to simply press ctrl c without anything selected. Hopefully this still works, as I haven’t used it recently. After pressing ctrl c, the entire line where the active cursor resides gets copied to the clipboard. I hadn’t thought about it until just now, but perhaps this also works with multiple cursors. Unfortunately I can’t test it at the moment.

Good luck! Thanks!

As a related side note, one cool trick to duplicate a line is to simply press ctrl c without anything selected. Hopefully this still works, as I haven’t used it recently.

It still works, thanks for the tip!

but perhaps this also works with multiple cursors

I don’t know how to make multiple cursors in obsidian… could you please tell me?

1 Like

You’re welcome. The following is from the Obsidian Help:

If you hold down Alt (option on mac) and click, you can create multiple cursors. This can be useful when modifying a lot of lines in the same way, for example putting - at the beginning of multiple lines to turn them into a list, or appending [[ to a series of links you’ve copied from elsewhere.

To cancel multiple cursors, either click somewhere in the note (without a modifier key), or hit escape.

I still haven’t checked if the tip works in conjunction with multiple cursors. Thanks for reminding me. Good luck!

Text takes a very long time to organize, and if it’s possible with this software, that would switch me from logseq/notion to obsidian. This is helpful for projects, notes, and really everything. I understand there’s a plugin but it doesn’t work. Thank you.